1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to make a dream catcher-Poll too!

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Lisa M, Apr 12, 2008.

1. will keep this tutorial in mind and maybe make a catcher some day :)

33 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. will keep this tutorial in mind and have every intention of making a catcher some day, but won't eve

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. will look at this thread and be inspired to make a catcher :) :)

22 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. already have made catchers but (maybe) learned a new way because of this thread :) :)

22 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. will never make a catcher >:(

24 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. think Lisa is a super sweet wonderful gal who is really really good at editing option #6 ;D

46 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. aztaxidermy

aztaxidermy double lungsville bang'em n hang'em

CT
    not really into them but very cool

2. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

GOOD! YAY!

Thanks for the very cool part AL. I realize it's not for everyone...just like taxidermy isn't going to be everyones cup of tea. I like them. ;) I made this catcher for a friend:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. aztaxidermy

aztaxidermy double lungsville bang'em n hang'em

CT
    I like the one with the deer horn really cool

4. i'll be making one some day, lisa. :) think my grandpa and his wife would like it.

5. pssst your tut pics are all gone

6. Lisa M

ARGHHHHHHHHH! Okay...thanks for the heads up zantosa...I didn't know photobucket would do this! That means I need to log into the account I made for oldterryr's tutorials too! Crimeny...gad I hope I can remember the passwords!

7. thatguyonline

thatguyonline winnie the pooh

WI
    SO SAD I LOVED THIS POST!

8. Lisa M

I think I might have to take pictures as I make a new catcher. No biggie except that I don't have enough hours in a day or enough me. <sigh> Oh well. I'm more worried about OldTerryR's stuff. Anyone knows how to hack into an account, feel free to have at the account I set up for his tutorial pictures.

9. Lisa M

<b>YAYYYYYYYYY I guessed the password!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAAYYYYYYYY...lemme go try to figure out the pw for Terry's stuff! :) :)

10. outhawkn

outhawkn New Member

Having done the pow wow seen for many years I found the same to be true, the only people concerned with following the old ways...were white people.lol

11. Finally got around to trying your method.... haven't made one of these since I Was a kid.... Your tutorial took my work up to the next level and beyond!

Thanks for taking the time to put it together!

Here they are...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. :eek: :eek: :eek: I want that black and red skull one :eek: :eek: :eek: haha what kinda skull is that?

*side note* ^5 for all these they look amazing! I wanted to learn how to make these as a kid but I lost interest. Now I'm about ready to run out to the store and buy the supplies 5 mins ago to try one! :D

13. Ya can buy it if ya want... I'm gonna put all three on my website... its a raccoon skull with Sheep toe bones above the feathers... Had one come thru without a lower jaw and it fit perfectly...

The green one has a Dragon, Key and moss agate on it. The Blue and tan one has a very neat piece of geode on it.

Ebay is by far the best place to get the rings...there is a seller on there that has them very reasonable and is VERY good to deal with.. I hand cut all the buckskin lace from full hides... its a bit wider and thinner than the commercial stuff.. easier to work with.

14. lol tempt me and I might just buy it, I'm worried at how much it'll cost me.. tho :-\

lisa how did you attach it to the antler? Drill a hole? looks great!

15. Lisa M

<b>Shelby. Seriously. Those are beautiful! EXCELLENT work. ;) Thank you SO much for sharing the pictures!! ;)</b>

Zantosa...I attached the web to the antler this way:

1. Drill holes in the antler at the appropriate intervals.
    2. Take a small piece of copper wire, bend it in 1/2.
    3. Poke it in the hole, bending it like the little metal clip things on manila envelopes.
    4. Orient the folds in the wires so they all face the same way.
    5. Fill the holes with Apoxie Sculpt. Smooth.
    6. Use the copper loops to hold the sinew/string just like you would on the hoop. ;)

I'm glad this has inspired/helped you. ;)

Shelby...again woman...beautiful.

16. Lisa thank you so much for sharing! It's a very nice piece you should be very proud of! *runs off to look for antlers* :D

17. Thanks Lisa!
    This tutorial was great - I took the supplies up to Gatlinburg over the weekend and made my first Dream Catcher with my sister, brother in law and best friend. They might not be perfect, but we have a blast making them!

Attached Files:

18. Lisa M

<b>Trixi! Those are beautiful! EXCELLENT JOB!! They ARE TOO PERFECT!! :) Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!!!!</b>

Could you take & post pictures of each catcher? I can't see the one in the middle very well. I like them all a whole lot. You did good work. :)

Did you have any questions at all? Is there anything I can do to help?

19. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Very nice Trixi!

20. Lisa the instructions were perfect. The only real trouble we had was wrapping the brass ring - we finally ditched doing it solo and teamed up to wrap them a little faster - one person holding the ring and keeping the turns tight and the other person passing the leather through. It literally cut an hour off of the process. The middle one was made by my sister Courtney - I'll email her and ask her to send me a better pic. I took $75+ in supplies up there and I really wish I had bought more fur scraps, feathers and stone beads. Feathers were really hard to find - either they were too garish or they were too small. I went to Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Joanne and what you see was the best they had.

We altered the dream catcher idea a bit by taking tiny glass jars (I bought a pack of assorted sizes for $5) with cork lids and attached them. I told each person to fill them with a wish or something they loved. One person filled theirs with a little Gatlinburg dirt. I put 3 beads representing my two sisters and my mom in mine. It made them a little more personal.

My advice for making one - don't stress over your idea of perfection. Every one is different and that's what makes them special. Oh yeah, and keep that sinew tight!