1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what birds are not classified as song birds?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Travis42093, Apr 13, 2008.

1. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

English, or house sparrows, european starlings and feral pidgeons or rock dove are the only unregulated birds...

2. thank you.

3. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

Haha, and I always thought that sparrows and starlings were songbirds, stupid me! :D

4. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

I figured he was really meaning unregulated ;D ;D

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I would put it a little bit differently.
    To be mounted for a private individual (not a nature center or etc) a bird must either
    1) have a legal hunting season, in which case the hunting license info needs to be recorded, along with the kill date, etc. or
    2) be a domestic bird, like someone's pet bird (but not a falconer's falcon), a breed of poultry, or
    3) be one of the kinds that RDA mentioned: a house sparrow, a starling, or a common pigeon.

Anything else is illegal to mount unless it comes from a nature center, museum, school, etc, and even then it must have the proper documentation along with it.

6. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

I think your question was answered already, but the true answer is:

Loons,
    Grebes,
    Ibis,
    Herons
    Egrets,
    Cormorants,
    Anihinga
    Ducks
    Geese
    Terns
    Seagulls
    Skuas
    Jagers
    Alcids
    Shearwaters
    Petrels
    Tropicbirds
    Frigatebirds
    Albatrosses
    Boobies
    Gannets
    Rails
    Gailinules
    Moorhens
    Cranes
    Skimmers
    Oystercatchers
    Jacanas
    Plovers
    Sandpipers
    Stilts
    Snipes
    Avocets
    Pelicans
    Storks
    Flamigos
    vultures
    Butoes
    Accipters
    Falcons
    Kites
    Eagles
    Shrikes (not for sure on that one)
    Guans
    Quail
    Pheasants
    Grouse
    Pigeons
    Dove
    Turkey
    Parrots and Parakeets
    Owls
    Goatsuckers
    Swifts
    hummingbirds (not for sure here either)
    kingfishers
    dippers (?????)

Im sure I missed something

7. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

GOOD one ;D

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Dippers are just misguided wrens, so I think they qualify as genuine songbirds. (Plus they sing like crazy!)
    All the rest are correct, though, at least by ornithology standards.

Game wardens might see things otherwise.

9. what about a northern flicker?

10. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

All woodpeckers are protected. The flicker is even the Alabama state bird.

11. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

song bird as are all woodpeckers

12. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Do a SEARCH for "protected birds". That will get you the COMPLETE list from the USF&WS. If it isn't a game bird or raptor, it's a "dickie bird" and they're all on the list.

13. thanks

14. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

What about Eurasian collared doves?

Feral mute swans, muscovy ducks, Mandarins?

When I was in Florida a few years back, I was amazed to see flocks of parrots along the Gulf Coast. Are they given protection?

Of course, most of these prefer to live near human habitation, and you could run up against firearms laws.

Off the subject, but the best story I heard for hunting around homes was a guy who was picked for an urban Canada goose hunt around the Twin Cities, and showed up at this fellow's lakefront property with decoys and gear. The fellow told him to skip the decoys and go lay on the shore. He ran his riding lawnmower up and down the yard a couple times. The geese came in like gangbusters, and he filled out immediatley.

15. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

Travis420 Just some professional advice. If you're as serious about becoming a bird taxidermist as you appear to be---then you should become familiar with all of your state legal requirements and all Federal USFWS regs and lic. requirements BEFORE you start taking in and mounting birds. Best of luck to you.

16. PWS

PWS Active Member

The muscovy and mandarin should be covered in your state duck regs as "other ducks". Interestingly, though, is that I couldn't find anything regarding feral mute swans in california... and we've got a few breeding pair in my area. Been too lazy to check with the state guys though. Soon as I do, they're gonna be toast.

17. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

Jon, shrikes are songbirds too, hummingbirds are closest to the swifts ;)

18. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

In Minn. we can shoot any quail at any time except northern bobwhite ,and chukars as well as all the sparrow/starlings/rock doves.......and monk parakeets...also mute swan,any non native duck this includes euro widgeon,mandarin,muscovy.......as far as song birds,Peter is right starlings and sparrows were brought into the U.S. by euro imigrants as "song birds".....

19. sidekick

sidekick New Member

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread...but what other feral birds might be protected or able to harvest? I see reports all the time about bird populations, especially in warm climates, of several species of parrots that are big problems. They are not native to north america...can they be harvested, as long as you follow local shooting laws?