1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is the best school and how to pay for it!

Discussion in 'Training' started by larrydbollman, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Hello, I was wondering what the best schools are? I have heard many good things about Pennsylvania Institute of Taxidermy and also the Academy of Wildlife Art, but which one is truly the best? Also once I decide on a school the hard part comes...paying for it, do any of you know legal ways to pay for such a thing? Any info/help will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

2. If i was you i would attend the academy of wildlife art. i went to PIT and was taught there by jason snowberger, kent stryker and chuck henry who no longer teach. jason opened up the academy and is one great taxidermist and teacher along with gary bruch . if you want to be a good taxidermist it starts with the beginnig teaching.good luck
    joe

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I would find a school that has had the same teachers for a solid amount of years. Many turn over teachers as fast as McDonalds flip burgers. And the "best" school is only as good as the "best" student.

4. mrdux

mrdux Member

I graduated from PIT and was taught by the same instructors as mentioned above. They have all left. I also attended a workshop at Jason Snowberger's place and found it to be head and shoulders above PIT. There are none better at their craft than Jason and Gary Bruch. Jason takes a max of 5 students whereas PIT might have as many as 30 at a time.

5. I went to Northwood which is near Somerset PA. Joel Zimmerman is the owner and instructor. I learned a lot and I think it is a great school. I would highly recommend this school. Check it out before you make a decision. As far as paying there are no grants or school loans available for a taxidermy school even though it is a trade school. The best you can do is a regular old bank loan and then pay it back with profits. Good luck.

6. Thanks guys! Keep your input coming. The more the merrier!

7. pooh_28

pooh_28 New Member

I don't know about a great school, it is your opinoin of how good it is, but John Rinehart School of Taxidermy was a great school with awesome instructors. I paid for my schooling with cash. Although a loan is the best way.

8. Chad See

Chad See Certified "Fish Head"

Check out the Western Pennsylvania School of Taxidermy. Marc Jordan is a fine teacher and knows his stuff. He will give you what you need to go far if you are willing to work at it. Also, the price there was affordable compared to many schools. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Chad