1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Troy-Bilt 3000 PSI Pressure Washer

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Lisa M, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Any tips, trial & error solutions anyone has found for this specific brand? My sweet husband brought me a new one for my birthday. I have an old PW that was LESS than good when fleshing capes. I've read all the other threads about pressure washers and I've learned A LOT in addition to what I knew from my old one. Just wanting to know if anyone has this particular washer, and what they have to tell me. ;)

Thanks in advance sunshines!

2. All I use is Troy Built. Cant beat it for the price.

3. Lisa M

Darrell, we really can't beat it for the price. A friend is really...well..."retentive"...decided 3000 psi wasn't enough for his big trucks...got a new one, gave this to Ivan for some help branding. Ivan would have helped him even without the pressure washer. It's in great condition...nothing wrong with it at all. Even has the operators manual. I washed the back & 1 side of our house this morning. ;) I am thawing a cape now to use it on too. Ivan says I'll blow holes with it. That's why I'm using one of my capes for practice, and not a clients. Any specific tips on the Troy-Bilt brand?

4. Use the turbo nozzle and play with your angle. You have to mess up to blow a hole. You will be able to completly flesh a deer in 10-12 minutes once you figure it out.

5. Lisa M

Oh gawd...I can't wait for that cape to thaw! LOL I'm more excited than that proverbial puppy with 2 tails. ;)

6. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

I fleshed these skins in one day with my new 3500psi 3.5gpm, Thanks Richard Noles if you're out there. Now to just grain them all and add smoke, brains and some elbow grease!! The machine I have is belt drive and it was just purrin' the whole time. When you have belt drive the pump isn't to be affected by heat from the motor.. so excessive use can be hard on some washers. My investment will probably outlive me..now to just get one of my 6 kids to be interested in tanning skins the 'easy way'..

[​IMG]

7. Jerry C

Jerry C a good liberal is hard to find

You say it completely fleshes a deer. Does this include the face?

8. Lisa M

I tried my first mule deer cape yesterday. OH MY GOSH I love my power FLESHER yes I do! I love my power FLESHER how about YOU?!?! I sang that last sentence to Ivan when he got home from work yesterday. He just smiled...lol...ornery guy sang back a different song that I can't repeat here. ::) Critter.

Anyway, Jerry, I wasn't able to do the face. I don't have a fancy schmancy rack/beam thingie like I saw in the latest issue of Breakthrough when they fleshed a fox. But by holding the cape with one hand, and holding the nozzle with the other, I did a good job. (Also took off a little of one thumb nail. :eek:!) If you were to take a rubber band and go from the eyes to the smile line...where the lips are in the corners...those are the only places I couldn't get. I have a regular little beam...I'll post a picture of it later if anyone wants. But it was wanting to slide across the work bench I had out there to get the cape up higher so I wouldn't have to hurt my back bending over so much. When I was done, I had a beautiful white hide, that once I fleshed the face & turned the ears, I was able to throw in my tanner. It took me about 1/2 an hour because I'm still getting the hang of it. Yeah that's longer than my time with a beam, but the first deer I ever did on a beam took me 3 hours. Yesterday afternoon the magpies were having a white stringie dingie flesh flying party. I went to clean up, but the birds were already there. Too bad there isn't a magpie season...I'd could have gotten my limit. :D

I figure the more I do it, the faster I'll get. And once I make a beam like the guys had in the pictorial in Breakthrough, I'll be doing faces too. I have to get me some clamps too. Ahhhhhhhhh more tools...I love tools.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips for Jerry & myself on how to do faces, it'd be appreciated. Thanks.

9. mjroberts

mjroberts gator season will be here soon

lisa I fill you I did my first one this past weekend worked great but had the samething you did a big mess is there any way that I can keep the mess to a refined area so I dont have to clean the whole yard and the fence

and if there is any way you can post some pics of the board that you were talking about in the breakthrough magazine that would be great thanks mike roberts

10. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Will it shave/thin the a cape? I'm guessing no?

11. Lisa M

I don't think I can put pictures from Breakthrough here without violating copyright laws or something Mj. It looks like a 1x4 piece of wood that's oh...about 3 1/2 feet long, shaped at the tip to a dull V, then mounted on a wedge with pegs coming out the bottom to help anchor it to the larger fleshing beam below. If you go to the upper right corner of any page in taxinet you'll see a little tab called "Breakthrough." My issue says it cost $10.00 but I think if you order a subscription, it's less than that per issue. I know I got way more than $10.00 worth of knowledge out of it. It's the spring 2008 issue.

No it doesn't shave/thin capes Joe...that I saw...but it DANG SURE GETS the fat & membranes off! It was AwEsOmE! The junk just went flyyyyyyying. How I kept stuff from flying all over & back was directing the water spray towards a chain link fence. It caught most of the chunks. Then I washed the chunks out of the fence. I was thinking that maybe a soccer goal would work? Still have to wash the chunks out though...and with it being fabric it'd be even worse. Maybe direct it towards the house? We have vinyl siding. Chunks would hit & slide down, or I'd have to wash them down after. Sort of leave things centrally located for scoopage later? Any one who does it more...please put your 2 cents in!

Thank you!

12. StuDaBaka

StuDaBaka New Member

"maybe direct it towards the house"

My kinda lady!! rofl.... you go girl!

13. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Ok see if this works....... Lisa, I have thought about containing your spray mess. Here is a quick design I came up with so you can get the weels turning in your head. Hope you can see whay I tried to draw lol You could put up some roll tin toward the back and have everything drain into a bucket. Just make sure the top half is high enough to allow you to get in there and work.

14. Lisa M

Stu lol...I'd clean the chunks off before the husband got home...and that part of the house would be suspiciously clean...I'd have to do the rest of it every now & then just to keep up appearances. ::)

Harley...I've been thinking on it too...maybe a metal shed? But then the back spray could whack me in the head even more. ??? Hmmmm...I'm thinking I'll just squirt it out in the yard. That way the lawn mower would chop up the chunks after they dried. ;) I'm also thinking that I need a back yard that's about 40 acres big. Then the chunks would hit the trees & I could take pictures. ;D

By the way...the life shown by that stick figure...absoluuuuuuuuutleyyyyyyyy amazing! I haven't looked that good in yearssssssss! :D Sorry...just had to tease ya a little bit. ;D :D ;)

15. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

I can see it now some redneck is going to start fleshing at the local car wash!?!

16. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

lol how good do ya expect a guy to draw on a lap top in his truck! lol seriously though if the back of the bin is open with a downward deflector nothing should spray back.

17. Lisa M

Oh they already do Joe...been suggested & demonstrated several times. ;)

Harley, you could have given me some earrings at least. I mean really...sheesh! ;D Thank you for the schematic though sunshine. ;)

18. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

is this better

19. Lisa M

LLLLMAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Thank you...lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

20. mjroberts

mjroberts gator season will be here soon

lisa I couldnt find the spring 08 issue what issue number is it I looked in the back issues and current issues and nothing