1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Smiting

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by KevinH, Sep 7, 2006.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I just can't understand why anyone would want to smite me. I'm such a caring and compassionate individual. Can you imagine that? LMAO

I've got more smites than I've got posts, but I suspect a couple "eros" have been giving me drive-bys as well. I'm sure Cecil is the same way, but I don't really care. I'm reminded of a book I read years ago. It was in a futuristic societ where Big Brother owned everything and every body and the entire world was at peace (you know that was science fiction). Anyway, this young guy and girl were madly in love with each other, but Big Brother was the only one allowed to choose pairings. BB had chosen another guy for this girl and her current beau was rated as #2. Not being able to resist each other, they knew they had to do something.

The scoured all their laws and found that there was absolutely nothing they could be punished for it the killed the #1. So they plotted. Finally, in the town square, #2 bludgeoned #1 smug that he would not be punished and he could finally have his woman.

He was arrested and brought before a tribunal. Smug in his defense, he was ill prepared with the charge. "Destruction of government property". He was found guilt and his punishment was to be that he'd be put in a cage at the spot of the murder and have an implant in his body. People passing by could push one of two buttons on a panel outside his cell. One would give him pleasure while the other would give him excruciating pain. His family came each day to give him pleasure, but most would push the pain button just to see him torment. And the person who seemed to take the greatest delight in causing pain was someone he'd never have suspected: his girlfriend.

So there you have it. Just keep pushing smites, but this ain't the future and the only one wired up is the smiter not the smitee. LOL

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

George:

I can see it coming...you're going to be the first in the forum to break a thousand "smites"!!! Just stand by the words I hear all the time from my wife (who is an educational psychologist) "No good deed... goes unpunished"!

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Mike:

Maybe you and I get "smited" because of our state flag. We voted fairly recently to keep that flag, and I'm da*ned proud to display it!

4. Paul I

Paul I New Member

Kevin good people get smited all the time in life.LOL Never care what people with no names think.

5. wabbit

wabbit Guest

(\__/)
    (='.'=)...... everybody loves me see no smites
    (")_(")
    No Karma ;D
    No Care ;D

I do have this dingleberry problem though!

6. rcb

rcb home is where the heart is, it's good to be home

Hurricane Katrina was the only smite that ever affected myself!

7. How about doing away with the smite button and just leave the applause button? This way, if you like someones post, you can applaud, if not, then no action is taken. No one would accumulates any negative smites, only applause. Why have to have a button where you can give out negative feedback. This would take care of the ones who just love to "hit " people to be mean spirited. I think it would also give a more appropriate picture of the poster. The number of smites right now does not tell you anything about the value of the person's posts, which is a shame. Afterall I think that was the original intend of the smites. A lot of good people with high quality information are being smited just for who they are, not for the quality of their posts.

You just can't always be nice and tippy toeing through the tulips. Sometimes the truth hurts. If people are that easily offended, then they need to just stay at home, off their computer and go to therapy. Life is rough and if you can't take honest advice on the forum (I'm not talking someone being rude and mean and out of line), then how do you expect to run your own business?

I have come to the conclusion that from now on I shall say it as it is, not as some people may like to hear it. If I don't agree with you, I shall let you know in a courteous manner. If I think your mount needs improvement I shall tell you, in an honest way, no sugar coating as George likes to call it. If you can't handle it, that is not my problem. Smite me all you want. After all, you are the ones who want my FREE advice, I don't have to give it. Too many smites, and I just won't give anymore advice. It's not going to hurt my feelings. I can live without giving advice on the forum.

Some of you really belong in Kindergarten. Hey Smite Sniper are you listening?

8. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Hmm, seems as tho I've made quite a fuss. My karma average is getting a bit lopsided there!

LOL ;D :D :eek: :p :-*

Wolfie

PS: AWWWWWWWWW Evelyn, I wanted to see how many smites I could get!! ;D

9. (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")...................
    to smite or not to smite that is the question?
    No Karma ;D
    No cares ;D

To smite , or not to smite: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous smitedom,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
    No more; and by a sleep to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
    To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
    For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
    When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
    Must give us pause: there's the respect
    That makes calamity of so long life;
    For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
    The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
    The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
    The insolence of office and the spurns
    That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
    When he himself might his quietus make
    With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
    To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
    But that the dread of something after death,
    The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
    No traveller returns, puzzles the will
    And makes us rather bear those ills we have
    Than fly to others that we know not of?
    Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
    And thus the native hue of resolution
    Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
    And enterprises of great pith and moment
    With this regard their currents turn awry,
    And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
    The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
    Be all my sins remember'd.

Billiam Wabbit

10. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

I think smites are a form of 'love pats', you know, kinda like when you were a kid and your brother knocked the *** out of you!

11. Kim, looks like you are getting more "love pats" each day too. ;D

12. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

I find the smite button humorous. At last count I had more smites than applause. I think someone is hitting on me, what do you think?

Hey Wabbit, let's do lunch!

.VvvvvV
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    ./\^^^^/\

Wolf

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Ken, what do you get when you get 100 smites. I'm getting close and I'm just checking. But you know, considering that it takes an hour between smites, one or two of you drive-by smiters have logged in a bunch of hours on this site.

BTW, you can't insult me and I don't intimidate, so have a ball pressing your little keys. LMAO.

14. I hear you RCB I'm down here on the coast hurricane Katerina got (smited) us good... but coming back

15. Wolfwoman

HEY what about drive by applause????

Wolfie

16. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

I have to agree with Evelyn 100%! I guess it's time to start earning my Semite's! Maybe do a few drive by"s of my own!

17. Brewster

Brewster New Member

EJ -That is one hilarious penguin smite in your pic corner! How about one smite per thread per person and regular amount of applauds. Because some people may not need to respond just agree or disagree with a posting- Superpig's idea is good too, but the same would happen,I think. Either way, they're badges of pride. I got mine all in one thread for doing battle supporting novice taxidermists that post their work asking for critiques. Just so happens that Jaba the Hut himself was against it and felt he should be able to LOL at them.

Brew

18. wabbit

wabbit Guest

(")_(")...................wabbit tracks away from you

(")_(")

(")_(")

(")_(")
    Wolf your Karma scares me ;D

19. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Re: Smiting - A Change in Karma Policy

I have made the first administrative change to the Karma system. From now on, members will have to wait a day (instead of an hour) between applauding or smiting a particular member. Hopefully, this policy will cut down on the "drive by smiters" who seem to be piling on certain members.

Remember, the Karma function is still in experimental mode and may be changed or removed at any time.

20. Wolfwoman

Wabbit,
    Which wolf???