1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

White phase turkey head

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Ozwalt, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Trying to paint a white phase turkey head that looks like the color is in the process of draining out, but I'm just not convinced that I've got it. Anyone have a white phase paint schedule they like or close-up reference photos they can share?

2. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

you got any pics of this white turkey?

3. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

The turkey's a normal Eastern wild tom. Customer says his head was brightly colored during strut, but the color began draining out a bit before he shot him -- happens when they get nervous sometimes. Can't find any reference pics that show this color transition. All I can find are completely washed out or too brightly colored. I imagine he'll be happy with what I've done, but I get pretty picky when it comes to my own work. Just wanting to match the head to a real-life picture.

4. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

This? Passive head

5. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

That's actually pretty close to how I did it, but tried to make the lower colors a bit deeper. Not sure I nailed what he's looking for. Thinking about adding a touch of pthalo blue to enrich the blues a just bit a more. Know I'm at risk of driving myself crazy. I have the image in my head, but no photos to match. Afraid I'm just gonna have to let it go before I pull my pin feathers out!

6. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Shane Smith Head

7. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

BINGO! That's what I'm looking for. Thanks a ton.