1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blonde beard

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Zimmie, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

I shot a big gobbler on monday that was mature. He weighed just over 24 lbs. His beard was only 3 1/2" long and is blonde color. People that I have talked to said he had some kind of mite. That is why his beard is so short, but we can't figure out why his beard is blonde color. The only thing I can think of is it's just an oddity. If anybody can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Ryan

2. probably beard rot. It turns that color near the end where it is infected and will eventually fall off.

3. tyson

tyson New Member

I have heard that melanin deficiencies will also cause the beard beard to go blonde, also makes them weak and brittle. Melanin is the black pigment in the beard.

4. wright

wright Timothy Wright

a buddies kid shot a jake this year with about a 4" beard. the bottom inch was brown/blond color

tim

5. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

From what research I have done on this, it is defentley a melanin deficiency. I just talked to a buddy of mine about it and he said if I mount this bird the beard will eventually fall off. He is not a taxidermist but knew exactly about the whole melanin thing. If anybody else knows anything about mounting a turkey with this problem, please inform me. On a side note, this will be my first turkey mount so I don't want to waste my time if the beard is going to fall off.