1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

best animal to mount for beginners?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Ron420, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

what is so hard about squirrels I can do them in 45 min. and only charge $15 what do you guys think? ;)

2. mitchson1

mitchson1 New Member

i am a begginner as well. i mounted a fish then two ducks then a squirrel. squirrels are a pain in hte butt but you can learn alot. u just have to have patience. slow down and watch videos and read books. i have watched videos and read books for over a year before beginning my first animal. learn the anatomy. and just learn tricks. most ly be patient. everyone told me not to begin with a squirrel but i dont believe that it was that difficult after monting my first one. just begin with a animal you feel comfortable with. and i do agree with begging with a shoulder mount yote or even tanning some hides. just dont be scared to try. the leased you can do is mess up.

3. thanks Perry and George. I'm so excited to start that I'm becoming overambitious!

4. The easiest mammal I have found to do is the Badger. That is by the easiest in my opinion

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It seems we're losing perspective here. The "easiest" is liable to be a whitetial, but for a BEGINNER who is likely to have initial problems, you need something that's readily replaceable in my viewpoint. I'd hardly suggest a whitetail as the first mount.

6. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Exactly George!

7. I would start with a squirrel, they are easy to me. But these guys probably know better than me. My advice would be to start with whatever animal I could get the most of, easily. That way you have several specimens to perfect your technique on. Practice makes perfect.

8. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

ask my child and your shall receive

http://tdavistaxidermy.com/mountacoyote1a.html

9. Any mid size mammal is the best starter in my opinion. What ever you can get cheap.

10. northflorida

northflorida New Member

My first mount was a gray squrriel that was a road kill and no fur on the back end. I just ordered a smaller form. It turned out great.

11. northflorida

northflorida New Member

My first mount was a gray squrrirel. His back end had no hair. I just bought a smaller form. It turned out great.

12. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

anything you can get your hands on is good to start with...stay away from kits...they are a complete waste of money.

13. Lenny

Lenny New Member

If you need a gray squirrel or 2 PM me and I'll give them to you if you pay the shippig.

14. buck slayer

buck slayer New Member

i am still very new at taxidermy but my first animal was a squeirell as well.( srry about the spelling) i think that they are a great first mount. mine turned out very badly but that was just me rushing through it. the only problem that i really had was the splitting the ears and positioning the feet after the mounting. but they are cheap and easy to find so thats your best bet. if you think your going to do somewhat good on the first round about, but its still not good enough to keep then all you have to do is get another one and try again. practice makes perfect. :D

15. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

van dykes has good videos. thats how i got started.

16. northernmudman

northernmudman New Member

well i havent tried yet but i plan on doing lots of gopher pelets before i atempt a deer or my bear. i just picked up "the complet book of tanning skinns and furs" last night. so far i have read the chapter about doing squirlls and it seems to give in depth instruction.