1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Drowning Flies?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Spysar, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Spysar

Spysar Member

It's getting quite warm here in upstate NY in recent days. Up until now I haven't had to worry about flies and maggots. I only have a couple of deer heads left. I prepared them(took off meat and brains)and stored them in a metal job box. They are dry like jerky, but bugs can get in there. It has been freezing everynight at least but now it's not freezing at night.

My question:

If I submerge the heads in water for 24 hours, will that kill flies and eggs? Also the antlers don't get submerged, is there the possiblity that flies lay eggs on the antlers themselves? I planned on wiping the antlers with alcohol before they go in with the dermestids.

My beetle colony is finally thriving after much trial and error. I'd hate to have something happen to them now. I have several bear skulls in the freezer to clean.

And being that the deer have antlers freezer space is an issue for me right now, although I plan on getting a big one before next season.

Please advise, thanks in advance, Eric

2. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Eric, I submerse elk skulls or deer that have not been frozen in HOT water. I usually leave them for an hour or so then drip dry before going in the beetle box. Never had an issue with flies after the hot water soak. I DO have my hot water heater turned up high ;D I can't really afford a walk in freezer for the BIG stuff ;D

3. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

Thanks I got one head left and was going to ask a similar question.

4. candyman

candyman New Member

+1 for RD HOT water

5. bonez

bonez Member

PA
    +2 for rd HOT Water

6. Spysar

Spysar Member

I don't have really hot water readily avalible (but I can use it, it's just a real pain). Does anyone know if just a 24 hour soak will drown stuff? I only have cold water near my beetle shed. Right now I'll get the hot H2O, but for future referance I'd like to know if flies and their eggs will drown. Thanks for the replies, Eric.

7. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Flies will, eggs wont, Hot water......