1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Killing ticks

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by JL, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

X2!

2. J Kelly

J Kelly Member

Where i live in NJ the ticks are just stupid!! I usually can't bring the majority of the deer that come in into the shop. It almost looks like the ticks could pick up the deer and walk away with it, freaks me out!!!! What I do is cape the head out in the bed of my truck, code it and bag it ASAP. After that i put it in the freezer for FIVE days minimum. As the freezer starts to get a few in it I start to take one or two out a day and turn and salt. I try hard to stay away from all of those chemicals. This works for me.

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

No matter where you're skinning the head you are exposed to the ticks and one might escape your sharp eyes...then BINGO, Lyme Disease. My method eliminates the problem and KILLS them on contact. Freeze...bag...spray, do what you want but when you get the disease it's too late. Take all of the precautions necessary and you'll be OK. Rubber gloves are a must and so is an apron. Do the killing outside and let the head drip dry and skin it right away. I have a walk-in cooler that I use when it's really hot and I sometimes leave the head hanging overnight to drip off. Read all the tick information you can find, and studies show that freezing wont kill ticks. Leaving a cape in the freezer for a couple of years might do it, but the way most taxidermists handle and freeze their capes, they are just fooling themselves. Stay healthy...JL

4. clschake

clschake New Member

Thanks JL
    I've done those tests, and studied others testing ticks, if they get too cold it's like freezing a body too... (you know they use freezing in the med. community to preserve ppl and bring them back too right?) It's all about timing too... but...
    Since I took have Lyme and no one gets it until they "get it" they will continue to take chances because they think it works.
    I hope you are doing ok with it. I've had a decent summer with some ability to be creative. (it can rob you of your creativity along with all the physical conditions it creates it steals your mind too. ) Listen, read, study and learn... Please!
    Just fyi...
    my brain scan is indicating als, ms, dd, mini strokes, and or small vessel disease. So YES it mimics all those conditions and more. Look up all these diseases, and ask yourself if you want those symptoms, then stick with freezing only if you choose, but don't say you weren't warned.

5. Second Mouse

Second Mouse New Member

Just wondering.......Anybody ever used Carbon Monoxide?

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Has anyone considered pouring gasoline on the hides and setting them on fire? DAMN, you simply can't cure stupid. 72 hours at -15 degrees???? Carbon monoxide???? Please! It would take a week for the hide to thaw back out and to be able to flesh it. Some of us have a dozen deer on the floor opening day and even though we process them quickly, there's likely to still be a dozen there when you close the door for tomorrow. Permethrin is cheap and quick. It KILLS ON CONTACT. Mist the floor (I use a tarp), have the hunters put his cape on the tarp, then spray the hide again. Repeat with every deer. When you get ready to work the hide, the ticks will have bigger priorities than biting you. I've had Lyme's 5 times and it's no joy ride. Just picking up that hide and putting it in the freezer exposes you long enough to get bitten by a tick. Lymes is NOT your biggest threat of ticks now, however. Several of the newer diseases can be transmitted immediately and several have no know cures. There is Bourbon disease, Powassan virus, Ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Barbesiosis, tuleremia, Colorado tick disease, and encephalitis to name just a few. If you're trying to protect yourself by freezing them, you're playing with your ass.

7. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I started using Permethrin on my hunting clothes. It's odorless and not easily absorbed by the skin, which makes it safer than some others. I walked thru several hundred yards of thick brown brush that the deer love to bed in. I saw not one measly tick on me or my clothes.

Less than $10 in Walmart hunting isle.

8. Second Mouse

Second Mouse New Member

I am ignorant you pampas ass, that's why I'm here asking questions, but far from stupid. I'm new here and fairly new to taxidermy. I hope you're not representative of the majority on this forum.

9. George

The word is "pompas" and if you're ignorant as you admit, you'd better spend your time wisely educating yourself instead of sounding like a prepubescent brat.I have no idea about what the "majority" do, but I'm always here and the chances of you running into me frequently are pretty good. So if you want help, get that silly assed chip off your shoulder.

10. Second Mouse

Second Mouse New Member

I'm fairly certain there are plenty of resources on here without having to bow down to you keyboard cowboy. I'm also sure you have quite a following and quite a high opinion of yourself because you know a little more than the average taxidermist, but you might be served to think about who you jump on and call names. I assure you I would treat you the same in person as I would on this computer, I doubt seriously you can say the same. Now I have zero interest in which one of us has the meanest keyboard so I'll let you have your last little rant with no response and I'll move on in search of knowledgeable folks on here who don't have the social short comings that it takes to make one such a cowardly keyboard bad ass.

11. George

Well good luck Cowboy. You see I was here long before you showed up and I'll be here long after you're gone. And IF you actually knew me, you'd also be smart enough to recognize that you're not the Lone Ranger in telling someone to their face what I do on the keyboard. BTW, i suffer fools badly just so you know. I'll make a mental note and let some of these more pandering people hang your ass out to dry without interfering. Now go connect the hose to your exhaust pipe to kill all those nasty little ticks.

12. EA

EA Well-Known Member

George, I couldn't help noticing you did not advise him to open the garage door.

13. JL

In a way I wish I had never started this thread as it has allowed many of you to post your ridiculous ways to prevent ticks from biting by piggybacking on my tried and true method. If you think your method is better, or even a good as mine you should start your own thread. Something like" I can prove freezing kills ticks" "Tests prove alcohol kills ticks", etc. Can you see where I'm going here? Spend just half the time to research this subject as I did before using Permethrin you will find that there are laboratory tests performed by high power labs that disprove your theory about controlling ticks. Then you would stop proposing your unproven methods here for others who are starting out in the field of taxidermy to accept this theory as fact. JL

14. George

JL, I don't think you did bad. The post is almost 10 years old and it took that long for the geniuses to show up. You done good for an old fart.

15. clschake

clschake New Member

I'm sure glad you posted and also happy to see it revived!
    As many of us that have Lyme and George pointed out the co-infections...
    The medical community disagreeing on even how to treat us, CDC not getting up on what is working for most...
    Best is still prevention!
    I have personally tested other flea and tick sprays and rub on...
    Especially Deet, 5 min. after using it I had a spring baby crawling on me trying to dig in.
    So I tested on a glass table first... sprayed one side with deet the other with perimethin (sp).
    The deet did not work and the sucker crawled so fast through it! (I've frozen them too)
    Perimethin killed them in a few inches of crawling.
    I don't dip or soak,,, just spray clothing, shoes, work area, and now my first hide.
    The only issue I had this year, is when we went tracking my sisters deer... got sweaty and took treated clothing off, instead of removing under layers that weren't sprayed. 3 of us had ticks that evening, next day out every one of us sprayed our under clothing before going out because it's been so warm. If we're treated, we don't find any!
    If this post gets to save one more person from the hell and suffering, memory issues, pain, and decomposing soft tissue in the joints along with spinal disk issues, then it worked!
    (if med. community can't agree how to treat even with proven tests, how can we expect taxidermists to agree?)

16. George

Hear! Hear!

17. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

I like to freeze the head and couple of days before skinning it, this kills the ticks without chemicals, simple!

18. George

Danny, you either don't do many deer or have one helluva freezer. I have a small shop with a large vest freezer. Opening day I had 10 deer on the floor by mid afternoon. I caped deer til about one and still had 6 on the floor. The next day was a bit slower but I'm nit about to buy another freezer so I can kill ticks - ESPECIALLY when there's a product where I can safely and quickly rid the problem.

19. JL

Danny....just a guess here, but I bet you're also convinced someone will find BIG FOOT in Florida. And he won't have a living tick on his body 'cause they hate freezing temperatures. lol

20. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

Freeze for 24 hours and no ticks. This is what the border patrol requires when bringing hides back from Mexico.