1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Killing ticks

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by JL, Nov 25, 2006.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm sorry birddoggy, but I'm not politically correct and the last source I'd look for on such things is the Border Patrol. They can't keep wetbacks out of the country so how are they going to know how to kill ticks. Perhaps if you could lay a hide out flat, 24 hours MIGHT be enough, but a tick in the center of a rolled out hide will be at room temperature at the 24 hour mark. It's funny that you can't IMPORT hides into America from Africa and South America unless they've been "dipped". And I'm simply NOT going to pick up a damned tick infested hide and carry it to the freezer without spraying it down with permethrin.

2. Most of the deer I deal with have been frozen by immediately by the harvester, do to the warm weather here, but when I get a fresh one that hasn't been frozen yes it go in the freezer for at least a day or two

3. I'm with James, I put every cape in the freezer for a couple of days and all the ticks are dead when I pull it out to cape it. But we don't have as big of a problem with ticks down south as you guys do up north.

4. I worked for Terminix years ago as a Commerical Acct rep and also NYSDEC. Just wear gloves when handling Permethrin, do not smoke or touch your mouth, face or skin when you have gloves on and are handling this chemical. Wash hands after doffing gloves. Clothes too and if brushed up against your skin just wash thoroughly with soap and water immediately. Not that big of a deal.

There is just as much crap in your food(s) today as there IS in this stuff. Trust me.

5. I worked for Terminix years ago as a Commerical Acct rep and also NYSDEC. Just wear gloves when handling Permethrin, do not smoke or touch your mouth, face or skin when you have gloves on and are handling this chemical. Wash hands after doffing gloves. Clothes too and if brushed up against your skin just wash thoroughly with soap and water immediately. Not that big of a deal.

There is just as much crap in your food(s) today as there IS in this stuff. Trust me.

6. I spray Sawyer's on the hair side of the cape and leave it sit overnight. The same stuff that I spray on my hunting clothes.

7. George

Sawyer's is permethrin and it's MUCH cheaper to use the Tractor Supply products if you're doing any number of hides. I buy the concentrate and you can make about 10 gallons of spray. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

8. Thanks George

9. Shemp

Shemp New Member

Wear gloves. Wear a rubber apron. Spray yourself with bug spray before you skin.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm in Massachusetts on fishing vacation right now and the ticks are really really common. I'm taking all the precautions and spraying but still found a couple crawling on me within minutes. Never saw one or heard of a tick here when I lived here from 68'-71.' But then deer were really scarce then and no moose. Now northern Worcester County has nearly 1000 moose.

They used to spray DDT off a C-130 on the post then so I'm sure that was factor. LOL

11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Cecil, everyone relates ticks to deer, moose etc. when in fact the biggest carriers are rodents and there are a lot more of them than deer and moose. Back in the 40s & 50s we never heard of Heart Worms in our dogs but it was spread by mosquitos and migrated north from the Virginias.Similar migration of ticks has happened as we never saw a tick in the 50s up here. Now they're everywhere and the heaviest infestation occurs on Cape Cod and the nearby Islands that have a large population of rodents. There are many more mice...rats...chipmunks...squirrels and other small mammals than deer or moose. However they also are part of the problem and are the ones that put Taxidermists in jeopardy the most.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

JL,

Actually I'm aware of that as in the white footed mouse etc., but brought up the deer and moose comments to show how things have changed since I lived in Mass in the late 60's to early 70's.

Like I said I had never even heard of ticks back them and didn't encounter them until I moved to Indiana. Ecosystems change.

13. George

Delaware never had chiggers in the 70's but you'd better hold on to your ass if you go afield around here now. Many people blame it on "climate change" and to a large degree, the temperate zone in America has moved northward. HOWEVER, for the right/wrong/indifferent reasons involved, elimination of DDT has been the prime instigator of this.

14. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

George, that permethrin is some pretty scary stuff....LOL. http://www.livingwithbugs.com/permethrin_pyrethrum.html

15. TomR

TomR New Member

Freezer takes care of the ticks. Why would you want to expose yourself, let alone the raw cape, to unnecessary chemicals?

16. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy New Member

Tried Wingman's suggestion with the lacquer thinner and toilet paper roll and worker. After keeping
    garbage bag sealed for 2 hrs every tick was dead and there were a bunch of them. Tried this on a couple
    of deer head and worked great!

17. George

Not sure why it's "scary", Aubrey. Certainly from what I know, it's not nearly as bad as lacquer thinner. It's the same product that kids with cooties have to use in their hair, it's used by many kennels to control fleas and ticks , and it's what's sold as "Repel", "Sawyers Insect Repellent" or "Colemen Insect Treatment" for clothing that hunters everywhere use.

18. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

George......there's a saying, "you can't fix stupid" for a reason.

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Hey JL stop beating the horse to death on this! ;).