1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mounting pets

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by 3 and 0 Outdoors, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

I don't find George insulting, (even though I am a couple years younger). He's just very straight forward with his opinion, which he has a right too. I like hearing everyones ideas, whether I agree or not.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Fineart you're taking this MUCH too personal. I've been around some of the most skilled people in this industry and I've seen their work as well. I KNOW they could pull it off for everyone in the world except for the person who actually owns the pet. Regardless of the beauty you recreate, you can't do it like the Maker did it and the owner of that pet is going to immediately see the nuances that you couldn't possibly have captured. The eye tint won't be the same, the "little way he looked at me", the "emotions" he showed the owner. Have you ever walked into a funeral parlor and seen the corpse "look like he's sleeping?" Be honest now. Most of them simply look dead and the embalmer doesn't do anything but exchange body fluids with colored embalming fluids. Now if an embalmer can't carry that off with a person, why would you entertain the idea that you could do it with a pet.

I truly don't care if you continue to do pets. If that's your thing, you're more than welcome to it. HOWEVER, when the question is posed to me, I politely refuse and give them an option of finding someone like you or a freezedryer. I still take the time to explain to them just what I've told you and the others here in my postings. That way they are at least informed. Whether they listen or not is up to them.

3. fineart

fineart New Member

I'm not takeing it personal at all,captureing an animals attitude and emotions is what we all should strive for in all our mounts.George ,believe me nothing improved my work more than when i started mounting pets,it made me be much more maticulous,mabey because i knew i was working on something that was emotional for the client.To me it is old school taxidermy,body casting wrapping bodiies,casting liplines and jaws,it improves my skills and i loveit.

4. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

bws will do them for you

5. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Fineart,
    I compliment you on taking on what I consider the biggest challenge for a taxidermist, from my experience it's impossible to put the look back into pets that the owners remember. Kudos for you if you can do it. I won't touch one, except maybe a bird.

6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I have done several over the years and it's good money....always up front. However I insist that the animal is posed in a SLEEPING position. That way you eliminate the quirky attitudes that can get you in trouble.I have also made several coffins for clients to place their pets in the grave.....it's all $$$$$$$$$. Having a shop within 50 miles of Boston puts me in a position to demand top dollar for this work. I even made a rug out of a beautiful Husky. Closed mouth and no feet....and the customer still stops in once in a while to comment on the great job we did.Set your prices high and only offer the positions you're comfortable with. Good luck.....JL

7. amen to u george.... mountin a pet like a dog ....or cat . although i dont like cat . just dont seem right . or a horse

8. koch0655

koch0655 New Member

JL im totally with you. i never thought about the sleeping pose. i like that and that right its all $$$$$$

9. theroyalhunt

theroyalhunt New Member

fineart, do you have any pictures of pet work you have done? im kind of curious to see. :)

10. I just skinned a 70lb Akita today....GROSS!!! there was so much damn fat, Reminded me of a greasy ole bear. These folks just want the skin tanned, and maybe a head shell put in, no rugging just the shell, So I plan to cast the head, and go the route. ohh yeah it will be in a sleeping pose.

Will post pics when complete. :)

11. animalxii

animalxii New Member

we just got a cat in the other day....1st one, should be interesting

12. fineart

fineart New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. fineart

fineart New Member

theroyalhunt,sinse you asked,i hope the hound is convinceing enough

14. fineart you just have to learn that George doesn't sugar coat anything.

15. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Nice work on the hound. Here's a little pet I did..$350.. for a Boston customer. I also did one for her friend the following year. Also, lighten up on George...his wallet is so fat he doesn't have to work and only does taxidermy to keep him grouchy...lol

16. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I have to agree with George word for word. One thing I dont need is a grieving customer. I want customers that are happy that the beast is dead.

17. Well, People , I am SORRY, BUT I DO TAKE IN THE PETS !

I do it for $$ , but also, TO GIVE the PUBLIC WHAT THEY WANT ! I TELL them ALL the reasons WHY the PET MIGHT not LOOK exactually like it did & I have NOT had ONE client that has Complained yet .

Some I have Mounted by traditional taxidermy tecniques or making body casts, others Partial taxidermy & freeze dried tecniques !

The BEST is to FREEZE dry the head & feet & remove the Main Torso , as it contains the FAT !

This DEFINATELY needs to be PRICED MUCH higher than typical Taxidermy & there is geting to be MANY more people who DO WANT their Pets preserved ! These are NOT going to last any less or more than any other mounted specimen . It is suggested that these animals BE under glass, but most WILL never do this either !

YES, it is a CRAZY world we live in & there are WORSE things to ( have you ever had a ( serious call ) I want my HUSBAND MOUNTED !

If you are busy enough without PETS & making the $$ yopu want : JUST DON"T TAKE em in to DO ! Because, YES, It can be a Hassle just dealing with the OWNERS !

18. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Larry...the next call I get I will refer to you.

19. fineart

fineart New Member

Larry,you said it better than i could.Thinking outside the box,and doing things like the old masters did, is what i like about it.

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Larry, fineart, none of our comments were meant to attack you personally. I suppose your attitudes are in demand in certain quarters, but most of us can find enough personal turmoil in our standard business practices without trying to work with gasoline drawers on. Perhaps you ARE able to explain the situation acceptably, but I don't need the business that bad as I already have a backlog of traditional taxidermy items.

fineart, your dog looks quite good, but I'd hope that even you would know that a coon hound is not a lap dog and one whose "personality" would be imprinted into the soul of the owner. Show me a picture of a Yorkie or a Persian cat and I'm sure THEY are done exceptionally well, but do they project what the owner sees in them? Only they would be able to answer that question. As Bill says, next request I get, I'll gladly forward to you two. It's just not worth my time to bother with this cuckold of our industry.