1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hope I am doing this right.....for Rick K

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by den007, Aug 29, 2006.

1. den007

den007 Active Member

Rick, I know from some brief conversation and your dedicated efforts on the Sunday morning questions that you are a good teacher and give great advice. I agree totally. I think of farmers and how they have to go out of business because they do not have a strong union. You would think the folks who feed us could as anything they wanted, but I see more subdivisions going up on fertile land here and hate it.

Question is, if we as taxidermists formed one, who would give a hoot! I have been given your advice even by my parents.....as in why do you kill yourself trying to keep up with teaching, writing, and come home and paint fish? I don't know! I like talking with folks about their catch, or their kid's first fish, and take way too much time doing this and being "nice." It will all taper off in 2 years when I retire from teaching, but I want to keep up the busniness. There are plenty of fisheads in my little corner of God's country that are damn good. Even the ones who are not get business. In some ways, I would honestly feel bad about excluding average anglers from having a good job done on their fish. Maybe I differ from some in that I am not relying totally on this as my source of bread and butter. If I was, yeah, I would jack up the prices high.Most of my work is off the Internet anyways. You can read Dan Rinehart's prices for wholesale fish. He is part of the "hood." He has a whole supply business and studio. My "studio" is the laundry room! If only you could see what airbrushing thousands of fish can do to a laundry tub.
    Thankfully, my wife understands, and has become an excellent skinner and mounter. I just paint, and I do it fast, and can still make what I consider a good buck for my efforts. Of course my wife is WELL compensated for the help! (LOL)
    Well, so much for the old forums. It has been good "edutainment" for us all. May the new one keep us all focused. Really Rick, I would not know the differnce between the best flyrod and the one I have......but then, I mostly use the spinning rod anyways because I like to catch fish. Maybe someday, I will jack up all the prices and see what happens. Meanwhile, if you would like to buy a neat new version of fish eyes......I will keep the pricing advice in mind.{another lol}

2. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Hey Dennis!

Good post! It had legs and all that is what it is all about my good man. Whether it is opinion of fact any thing that can get us all to think is a great thing! So good for you! As I said I do things the way they fit for me. I was reminded to day of a time long ago when Kike Boyce raised the ceiling and charged 650.00 (if I remember correctly) for a white tail this was back in 1990. Every one else was getting 250 to 400. He raised the bar and soon after that others followed suit. So instead of a ceiling we had a number to work from so good for gents like Mike who push it in the right direction as well. I know I miss out on a ton of 15-17dollar customers but my job is to win a few of them over a customer at a time until the client base is ok with what they get for my prices. It is all good!!! ;D

As far as the eyes Michael keeps talking to me about it is like hearing about a great movie to come out real soon but not even getting to see the previews ???. I have seen the other new eyes and they are fine however I would like to see some one who I have talked to and given impute into with show me a eye that will let m e do what I do with out a lot of extra work. I can do the work in minutes but I look at it from a teaching perspective. I want students to be able to have the ability to play and have fun with minimal setbacks. So yet again Mike and I have spoken and I await the samples he talks of? Maybe you could send me a picture if you have seen them or draw me a picture. Heck I can wait I have waited all this time any who… Just trying to help the guy out if he has half of what he tells me. We’ll see! I have learned in taxidermy there is a lot of good idea talked about and even some that make it to market. ;)

Well back to the Bass. Late night in the shop! I’ll check back a bit later. Take care Dennis!

My best!

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry

3. den007

den007 Active Member

Dear Rick........

As both a teacher and taxidermist, you are going to flip over these eyes. They are going to make certain things a breeze for your students and anyone else desiring to make a custom eye. You won't believe how fast we were able to do this in my "studio." lol How about under 2 minutes? The preview for all will be in Breakthrough, next issue. I am assured by Mike that, by the time it comes out, I will have samples for all. I have been working with him on some final legal terminology tweaking before I can say too much, but I am sure you could e-mail him directly if you wish. Do not confuse what I am talking about to the stuff you may have seen in Trufitt supply catalog in the past touted as being Black Forest Eyes. This is way, way, way different.

4. Rick Krane

Cool! Dennis I feel so silly to even make the post but I'm sure I'm nnot alone but I have notes upon note that I take when I make business calls and I have sevral p[ages from Mike telling me many differnt things??? All I know its it always ends with I'm sending them out to you and your one ot he giuys that will help me in the states. So as I said Cool!

I will wait for the samples.

Be good!

Rick

5. abridgeal

abridgeal New Member

what do you coat a fish with (gloss) is it plain ole Minwax poly? I am trying to restore (unprofessionally) an 8 ft sailfish

6. Rick Krane

I finish my fish with a Lacquer gloss. There are many good top coats out there for sure! Sherwin Williams, Del-glow etc..

I hope this what you were looking for in the answer.

My Best!

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Holy Cow Dennis!!! Your wife does all the leg work and YOU get to do the fun stuff!!! You got it made bud - lol!!!

8. DaveT

DaveT "But with God all things are possible"

Marty - love your pic with your kid... nice touch, what a priceless expression.

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Well thanks Dave! Btw, FYI - his name is NOT "Cass Lake Minnesota" LOL!