1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skunk smell

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by hunter.choice, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Does anyone have an idea how to get the scent out of a skunk hide?

2. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

they make stuff to kill the odor i believe its mcKenzie but i think you can make it out of vinegar and something else.

3. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

stop rot ;) it works

4. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

I use ketchup, than wash.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Yes, Stop Rot.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

This has been posted before:

Arkfisher has the same recipe that the Trappers Assoc puts out for skunk scent removal. Should work good.

The recipe that they offer up is :
    1 QT hydrogen Peroxide
    1 cup baking soda
    1 teaspoon liquid dish soap

This can also be used to de stink your dog and it works quickly and effectively. Mix all together and scub the skin in it till no more smell. Then rinse well and dry.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Sea Wolf, that gets about 97% of it out, but still leaves a residue. Stop Rot will KO it.

8. Sea Wolf

Maybe because it's on a skunk itself? I use that on my dog after he insists on killing yet another skunk and he goes from a reeking choking stink bomb to sleeping on the bed with no odor at all. I have Stop Rot here now and will try that next time on him and see. The soap and peroxide mix is sure a lot cheaper though. :)

9. Dave C.

Dave C. Member

Hi, I've tried all the recipes on here such as vinegar or the famous peroxide baking soda and dish soap. I wasn't satisfied. They didn't seem to work very well. I went to my local janitorial supply store and purchased a cleaning agent that was specifically made for removing skunk odors. Such as when your pet gets sprayed. It was made from all natural ingredients and didn't hurt the hide at all. It was about $14.00 for a quart and I used it all for two hides. It called for a high concentration mix for bad odors. After I follwed the instructions I rinsed the hides in clean water a then washed in a pet shampoo. They came out smelling like roses, well like pet Shampoo anyways.

10. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Just spray on the stop rot? I'm digging into a skunk now & no opps yet but planning....

11. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

i dunno about the stop rot but check out arkfishers skunk skinning tutorial if you haven't already he shows you how to not have to deal with a busted scent gland.

12. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

I saw it & plan to follow it- just looking for back-up- I want to have it skinned before my husband gets home:)

13. Sea Wolf

I do have one issue with peroxiding a skunk, now that I've sent one out to be tanned. It does appear, that if peroxide is used to descent a skunk hide, when sent to the tannery .... It will come back BROWN!!!!

BROWN and WHITE, Not black :(

Seems to maybe depend on what they use for tanning chemicals. I know that skunk skins that I sent out to be dry tanned came back chocolate brown. Useless for what I had in mind. :(

14. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

STOP ROT