1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Outer ear skin peeling problem

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by RIVERROADERS2000, Apr 19, 2008.

1. RIVERROADERS2000

RIVERROADERS2000 Member

Just wanted to get your thoughts. I just got done fleshing a nice woodchuck that I got last year with my boy. Anyway after I removed it from the pickle solution, I put it in baking soda water then fleshed it. After I completed fleshing it and turned it right-side out to look him over, I found that while fleshing the ear butts the outer most layer of both ear skins had peeled free. Majorly ticked. I also had this happen in the same manner last year with the ear tips of a coyote, but was able to repair that. The woodchuck though bit the dust.....again. Can you please let me know what the hell I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

soak and preserve with denatured alcohol and problems will disappear

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Sounds like epidermal slippage due to over nuetralizing. Use a level tablespoon of baking soda per gallon of water soak for no more than 20 minutes rinse well. Also I suggest you salt & let the skin dry hard before rehydrating & starting the pickling step. If I had to bet I would have to go with over nuetralizing though.