1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Reusing the Krowtann

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Nina Lukaszewicz, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

A few days ago I had the idea of reusing some Krowtann so I could tan one more deer cape without mixing another batch. I put the cape into the container, walked away and then came back after a few minutes because I felt unsure. Feeling guilty and scared to ruin the cape, I made a new mixture of Krowtann. I just had a weird thougth that the used mixture wouldn't be as potent. Anyone agree/disagree on reusing Krowtann?

2. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

The cape should be fine but it is best to use a new batch.........GL ...........Tom

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Always keep an eye on pH and salinity. Krowtann bottoms out at about 1.5 pH and has a salinity of 53 on the salinometer. Adjust your batch accordingly.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I didn't realize that OS, but it sure stands to reason that other solids in suspension will interfere with specific gravity compared to that of salt alone ...that is good information. The directions say to discard after initial use...that's probably the best info to follow.

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

new batch is a small price to pay

6. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Several years ago when I called Ozark Woods with that very question. They said that several people were reusing with good results BUT they didn't recommend it because each cape pulls more ingredients out of the mix and you can never be sure how much is or isn't there.
    I was also told IF I was putting more than one hide in at a time (not recommended but I di occassionally throw a coon head in with a bobcat lifesize for example), to add them at the same time for the above reason.
    It's too cheap to take a chance, I mix a new batch.