1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann as good as pickling and then mckenzie?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by woods and water, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Trying to decide to use Krowtann or Mckenzie tan...i want my mounts to last. Krowtann cuts out alot of time and expence but is it reliable and long lasting like salting, pickling and taning

2. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Eric, I'm new to tanning and in the same shoes you are. I visit this Tanning category often and read a lot.
    Based on what I've read: Krowtann is good, but Liqua-tan and/or JRTS might be better.

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

all three of those tans will last

4. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Eric..........Krowtan type pickle/tans have been around for over 25 years and have lasted.................No one really knows how long they will last(nothing lasts if it's not cared for properly).........There has never been any Ill effects with Krowtan to my knowledge..............I've used it for about 4 years and the mounts are holding up just fine and still retain nice color............I've used LutanF and Liqua tan and I like them both...........As a commercial taxidermist doing 250 - 300 deer a year I just liked the Krowtan better because of the time I saved and I also have all ways had less slipping problems with it...........I've never used McKenzie tan............If your new in taxidermy, I believe you will have a better chance at not losing your specimen or have slippage problems with the Krowtan..............I will be glad to tell you more about the different options out there if you want to give me a call...........Tom King at 706-367-7258

5. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Tom
    I got your PM. It's late here (probably later where you are :'( ) I'm headed for the sack.
    I will definetly give you a call sometime. Thanks :)
    Joe

6. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

10-4 Joe......lookin forward to the chat..........Tom

7. btt

8. maximum

maximum The one that got away! Made the other guy Famous!

I have used Krowtan, but I have switched to JRTS and I really like it!

9. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

I have been using liqua tan for about 20 years and haven't had any problems .

10. btt

11. EZ100 the best.