1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First comp mount...critique please

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by CKolar, Apr 20, 2008.

1. CKolar

CKolar Member

Thie is my first competition mount. I'm not really sure how to enter him in the show, so I am looking to ya'll for that advice. I have been doing taxidermy for 4 years now.. this is my third season as a part time taxidermist and I took in 40 this year. Overall I have mounted about 50 deer ...and everyone of them gets better! I don't have any formal training, just videos, and reference items. When I shot this deer I said I'd like to enter him in a show and just see what I can improve. The cape is not perferct, he has some battle scars...I don't know how that will effect my score?
    I am going to the TTAI ingo June and I dont know if I should enter him as "Educational, Amature, or professional" Joe Meder is the WT judge, so I'd like to get the best critique possible....let me know what you think!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

Nice mount. Since you are taking in work, that makes you a professional, so enter accordingly.

good luck!

3. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 New Member

Looks great

4. RDA

RDA Active Member

Now for a real critique, you should not be able to see th backs of the eyelids from the front view. your eyes are to set in. the leading edges of you ears either need grooming, or the skin is out of alignment, but thats just my opinion ;) :D

5. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

I know he asked for a critique, but I have a feeling Meder will give him plenty of feedback. Too late to fix any problems now anyway.

6. RDA

RDA Active Member

never too late!! 8)

7. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

Hahaa, don't tell me that, I am still working on a comp piece of my own, that I currently hate! LOL

Seriously though, I would never ask for a critique before the show, all it will do is kill your confidence.

8. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

looks great

9. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

Looks good. Good luck.

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Chad, I sent you a PM. Coombs form?
    Whatever you do, don't let anyone's critique here change your mind about bringing it. I had better see that deer at the show in June are I'll be on your doorstep to kick your butt ;) Every year when I'm loading my mounts for the show, I threaten to throw them all in the trash and stay home, but I'm always glad I refrain from that and take them. You will only improve by going and the judges don't bite, nor do any of the members. I promise, you will learn something, and if you don't, it's because you didn't want too.
    CYA in June. Dang, how many days do I have???

11. RDA

RDA Active Member

Ive soaked up mounts two days before a show , changed eyes etc... there is still time-I was really trying to help :)

12. CKolar

CKolar Member

Learning is the main reason I'm taking him. This is the beat work I can produce at this time, if I don't get some outside critique..(especially from a master such as Meder)how can I really improve!

By the way Becky...It is a Coombs form.

Here is another I may bring as well..this is a customer mount
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Hey Chad,
    I agree with Becky! I saw a couple of little things in the pictures but I'm not a certified judge. Study your reference and look at your mount. When you get to the point that you're happy with it, (like now) take it and have a real judge critique it. It's a great looking whitetail for sure!

14. It'll score 76 in professional catagory.....

15. Becky P

Take both of them Chad.

16. ed150

ed150 deer city time

i think he go 83 in pro. division,realy nice lookn mount

17. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

Wow.. I had this score in my head when I made it to your guess on score.. There are quite a few problems with your mount that will get hammered at competition, but that is the only way to get better! You have to get things wrong if you ever want to be able to get them right.. If you brought a mount with nothing wrong with it, you wouldn't learn anything from it. I have never been judged by Joe Meder, but he is an icon in the whitetail end of this industry! I rarely compete with whitetails, but having him there as a judge has got me seriously considering putting a whitetail together for the show. I look forward to seeing you at the show in June... I will be the one winning a major award with a piece I am taking.. ( at least I hope so! )

18. deerstuffer

deerstuffer New Member

Artwildecreate says there are quite a few things wrong with your mount. Boy that really helps don't it? If he is always so critical, he should at least try to help when people ask for it instead of using it as a chance to blow his own horn. Of course you can tell that he thinks his is far superior so everyone else's is going to have "white a few things wrong". CKolar, I am not a judge or a professional, but it looks really good to me. Let us know how it turns out.

19. Becky P

Deerstuffer, I don't think Art meant it in any demeaning way. He's right in that you won't learn what you did wrong unless you have someone qualified, like Joe, to tell you.
    But yes there are things the judge will hit him on, he's going to hit me too and mine's not even mounted yet. I PMed Chad on a couple things that I saw. It's not a bad mount by any means, better than a lot around here, but comps are a completely different animal.

20. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

No, I was not insulting him what so ever. The one thing I can tell you about competition is that is has everything to do with attention to detail! He really needs to look at his reference on this one.

I am not one of the people on here that is going to blow smoke up your butt. That mount belongs in the Amateur division, but you won't get as good of a critique there. They are more lenient on you there. Put it in the Professional Division, and learn something.

Areas that I see as problem areas with your mount.

Ear butt shape and size.
    ear shape and edges.
    eye symmetry.
    nose shape, color, texture, and placement of pad.
    interior of nose
    lower lip.
    overall grooming.
    finish work is very poor