1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what process do you use so your deer hide is very soft at the finish?? Thank you

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Treva, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Treva

Treva I praise God for the Love of my life Doug

??? ::)

2. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    send them out

3. Treva

but!! if your keeping them at home how??? Thank you for any help!!!!

4. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

If you're keeping them at home, they won't be VERY soft. Takes lots of elbow grease to get them semi soft then over time they will probably stiffen a bit, at least that has been my experience. I've used Basyn Tan, LiquaTan, and Krowtann/KrowOil bhut it's just not worth it. A tannery will do a superior job over anything you can do inhouse. Just send it out and save the wasted effort.

5. rebel

rebel New Member

if you want to do it your self use lutan f but you will wish you sent it out

6. Treva

Thank you everyone for your advice!! Do you feel it is because the tannery has a way of working the skin different then at home. What do they have that we may not have at home. Is it a tumbler?? Thank you

7. Becky P

I'm not sure exactly what they have, I just know that most taxidermists don't have the right equipment. Part of it is a tumbler, but not a regular one.

8. gab

gab Active Member

tanneries have special oils for fullhides,drying rooms,staking beams and staking machines.they have commercial tumblers with top quality hardwood sawdust,and cages to knock out the sawdust.plus they are able to shave thin consistently.

9. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

1) salt hide
    2) flesh
    3) pickle
    3) shave again
    4) back in pickle
    5) neutralize
    6) lutanf
    7) rinse
    8) oil
    9) break
    10) throw over couch and listen to wife gripe
    11) wish you had sent to tannery

10. Becky P

Listen to Terry's #11

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Treva, I think everybody should learn how to do their own "basic" soft tanning so may I suggest to you using the E-Z systen from Rittel or the Lutan F process as a sure fire way to go. Also IMO the WASCO soft tan oi is the best on the market for the do it yourselfer because you let the whole hide dry completely before breaking which makes the process simpler.

Now, lets look at the reality of doing it for customers on a for profit basis as a regularly set up Taxidermy shop with out the 6 foot breaking tumbler would have to do it. If I was to take a single back hide to do myself I would have easily 6-8 hours in the process of completing when you include breaking. I must make a bare minimum $15 per hour in my shop just to keep the lights on & the taxes paid. When I say $15 that is zero profit, I must make $15 an hour just for operating expenses. With shipping, lets say a whole back hide from the tannery costs us $50 for the finished product. If I was to do it myself it would cost me a minimum of $90-$120 in labor time & that does not even include any of my materials.

So I could do an ameteur tanning job in my professional shop for $90 or let somebody else do all my work for me at $50.

I get $150 for a whole soft flat back hide so I am looking at making a $100 profit for 1 hour of salting & shipping or a maximum of $8.30 per hour "gross income" because I have not allowed for materials or income tax yet.

So realistically if I did my own soft tanned back hides I would be making approximately $4.14 a hour :eek:

12. Becky P

And not come out with the quality it would be from the tannery.

13. Treva

Thank you all, for your help

14. Rush

Rush New Member

Salt,rehydrate pickle for three days,shave down till almost blue,lutan f,neutralize, hang overnight,oil,sweat for 2 days, hang for about a week untill almost dry, tumble in sawdust to remove oil, hang again for a couple days, stake,buff and retumble, sell.

15. clem

clem New Member

I like soft leather, and beach tans.

16. StuDaBaka

StuDaBaka New Member

I don't taxi, I just tan. I use mostly rittel products and 'can' get a nice soft hide IF I also shave it well and break it well. I would very much echo the comments made on the time it takes to do this without the kinds of tools and equipment that professional tanneries utilize.

If you want to do it yourself, you certainly can, but making money at the prices tanneries do it for.... well heck, I wonder how they even make money.

17. Rush

Rush New Member

we don't, just to dumb to do anything else.

18. AMEN BROTHER RUSH!!!!

19. humphreyjm

humphreyjm New Member

CT
    I've got one stretched in a frame now in my garage, it is drying slowly. At least twice a day I stake it with a piece of wood and stretch it with my hands. I don't know how it will come out. It's my first try.

20. Treva

Thanks all for your information. I am always reading Treva