1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

is it better to use fake noses

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by brushwolf, Apr 21, 2008.

1. .. i stand confused on this .. . is it better to use a fake nose . or its real nose and paint it the way its supost to be and ect.. george will probly answer this ...

2. ed150

ed150 deer city time

we like the real nose,but on bears use a lot of arttificial

3. On bears I use reproduction noses .

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Real on everything but hogs.

5. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Either way can look really good but both take skill to look good.If you use an artificial nose,you have to be expert at blending it into the real skin.If you use the real skin,you have to be very good at prepping the skin and shaping the nose,inside and out.I do some each way and recommend that you learn to do it both ways.Then you can decide which you like best.You can't have too many tools in the arsenal.

6. If the nose is good why not use it, except for when i use the cast lip system.

7. Jerry

Jerry New Member

I'm with Rich on this one. I used to use fake on bear, but once I learned to properly prep the nose, it looks great!

8. samie3000

samie3000 New Member

Yeah i would rather use the real nose

9. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

if the real nose is good thats what i use

10. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

If the real nose is good I use it. For me it takes a lot of time to get the fake nose on the form right.

11. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Ive used a cast nose on my recent bears and then thinned the real nose down and put it on over the cast. You get a good shape and still have the real nose and not all the blending.

12. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

75% of the time it's an artificial nose for me. Im hooked on them. Saves a ton of work.

13. i think an artificial nose is twice as much work to make it look decent. Anybody can slap one on and make it look like they slapped them on. If you are interested in doing quality work i think the real nose is the way to go. If they got it use it! I recently did my first hog with the real nose and turned out quite well.

14. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

That's the trick though. You can't just slap it on or you're right it will look like it was slapped on ;)

15. o I am not disagreeing with you that you can't make one look good. The noses always look good its the base they come on thats is in pain in the a$$ trying to get that to match your form. So i now use the replacement noses i had for reference.

16. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

They do make nice reference material.

17. Lenny

Lenny New Member

I could see this comming a mile away. If you ask what should I use you will get several different answers. Every one does things different. Most answers are right you just have to pick one.

18. you are right lenny. which are better bondo ears or ear liners? ( dont answer that) I like bondo, george likes liners. I like Hoyt and Mathews bows, some guys like bowtech. I drive a Dodge michael p. drives a ford. What works for me may not work you and so on. Good luck which ever route you decide to take.