1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fungi art

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Nina Lukaszewicz, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

A cool form of art using one of nature's best canvases - wood burning on mushrooms. I have been doing this for a couple years now, and try to collect as many mushrooms as possible when hunting or taking walks in the woods. They grow on trees and unfortunately some of the best/largest ones can only be found near the top where it is impossible to reach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gina

Gina New Member

Awsome work :) I like tha last one ;) taks alot of skill to do that kind of art ;)

3. What to you preserve them with? Do you just put a coat of laquer on it when it's done or is there a way to preserve those fungi things?

4. Nina Lukaszewicz

Thanks Gina :)
    broken tine, They just dry out naturally, once I pick them off the tree. It takes a few months. After that, they don't need anything. I have tried spraying lacquer on one before to seal it, but found that it made the whole underside (the light part) of the mushroom turn dark brown and the wood burning was no longer visible. So, never spray a woodburned mushroom with lacquer.

5. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

Very cool pieces Nina! If I can find a nice one this week
    while Turkey hunting, I might have you do one for me. Maybe a Lynx
    or Bobcat?

Mike

6. Nina Lukaszewicz

Mike, I would love to do an art piece for you if you find one. I would be offering a mushroom already prepared for you, but I don't have any left.
    Nina

7. ed150

ed150 deer city time

love the 3rd one

8. Big Sky

Big Sky Member

Nina,
    Sure wish there were more kid's like you in this world! What a pleasure you would be to have as a student in the classroom. I love students that like to try new and different art mediums. Very cool art you have created there. I always enjoy seeing what you will come up with next. I think folks that complain about the younger generation and where it is headed haven't spent nearly enough time with people like you!

9. Those are beautiful :) I have only ever painted on those fungi (acrylics) and never thought of woodburning. Thanks for the idea! I love your work.

10. Wow, very awesome! I like how much detail you've added to them. They look absolutely fantastic, and they're so unique. Impressive! You're also inspiring, and that makes me miss my wood burner, though...wish I knew where it was.

11. Nina Lukaszewicz

thanks for the comments everyone. Snowwolf, just go buy another woodburner, they aren't more than $10 at Walmart. That's the one I have and it works great. :)
    Nina

12. madarchery

madarchery callmaker

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii52/ninaxpants/PICT0004-2.jpg

Another Nina creation made just for me ;D

13. isiriu

isiriu New Member

These are just too cool Nina! I've seen similar pieces done before, but never so nice!
    I have a tiny one [roughly 3.5 by 3 inches] that I think I might try out :) I can check around in the woods again and see if I can spot any larger ones that you might like. My uncle had a huuge one [probably about 12x18" and very thick] growing on an Eastern Hemlock that I might be able to fetch for you over the summer if its still there.

14. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

Hey Nina, I found a few decent sized mushrooms the other day while Turkey hunting.
    Do you want me to wait till there dry? How long does that process normally take to dry before
    you would work on them?

Mike

15. Is there anything you can't do?

16. Nina Lukaszewicz

Sent you a PM Mike

17. wow.. i wish i had drawling talent . the best i can do is a japanese zero...... i could probley get you some huge ones my grandpaw is cuting down old dead trees all the time with huge ones on it ...

18. Nina Lukaszewicz

More finished fungi art. The last until I can find more mushrooms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I like the bobcat. Very nice.

20. Those are very nice. What type of trees are the mushrooms most often found growing on? I don't ever remember seeing any in my area, but I guess I haven't really been looking for them either. UNTIL NOW! ;)I think a strutting or gobbling turkey would look nice.