1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer cape question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by LionHeart, Apr 21, 2008.

1. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

Hi,

When the term "cape" is used, does it mean it's from a buck or can it be from a doe?

I have read a couple of pages in the archives but didn't find an answer, I know, this might be a dumb question but if I buy a cape, do I specify a doe or buck or it does not matter, a cape is a cape and you buy from measurments so a big doe could end up been mounted as a buck? Is that it?

Thanks

2. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

cape is a cape - can be a doe a bucck but channces are it is buck - measurmements dont always tell you everything

3. A cape means the part of a skin from the shoulders up. It should specify if it is a buck or doe. In our forsale section, you can usually assume it is a buck unless it says otherwise.
    Travis

4. Schmitty

Schmitty New Member

MN
    As far as a doe cape being used to mount a buck.....I suppose it is possible, but I would think that the subtle differences in the two would make for an odd looking buck. I might be wrong, but I would say there is a difference in the features.

5. HammerRhed

HammerRhed New Member

Your question has been answered. I just had a customer bring in a shoulder mount of a little 3-point. This head was mounted by the guy that I apprenticed with, so I knew how it was put together. He wanted his very first buck(the horns) to be on this shoulder mount. Sure I can do it! After I ripped the 3pt off amd placed the 7pt on the mount. A nice 7 point with about a 15 inch spread on this little dinky head/neck. The deer had like a 14 inch neck. My arms are bigger than the neck of that deer. I guess it's the bettlejuice deer, If anyone has seen the movie. It just looked funny. Putting a doe cape on a buck mount? Do you put on your wifes, or womens clothes on? I just hope that your not a woman. :-[

6. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

there are to many differences between a buck and a doe, if you mount antlers with a dope cape it will look like a doe with antlers, not a buck.

7. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

That's why the question, it did not make sense to me, buying a cape without knowing if it's from a buck or doe ... ???

In the "for sale" section, it is not mentionned when there is a cape for sale, most of them states measurments, condition, color but nothing concerning the gender of the animal, unless it says huge buck, big bull etc..

I have a couple of deer scull/antlers on hand and during summer, I would like to mount one set on a form to practice so I will need a cape. I guess the best thing would be to confirm with the seller before buying it.

Thanks to all that responded,

8. Lenny

Lenny New Member

A cape can be from a buck, doe, coon, fox,bob cat or anything else. Like Travis said from the shoulders fordward. I doe looks nothing like a buck. A doe has a long slim neck and rounded head and many other differences.