1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tried antler repair for first time and....

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by LoessHillsArcher, Apr 27, 2008.

1. LoessHillsArcher

LoessHillsArcher New Member

it didn't go so hot. I tried this method. "Make is Suede" Berber textured spray paint for starters. Put on a nice coat over the whole rack. Then took some "special walnut" stain and thought this was pretty easy. Then this is where it took a turn for the worse...the stain wouldn't take to the rack after the "make it suede"?? Anyone else try this method? I heard about it from a fellow on taxidermy.net and read the article, sounded fool proof so gave it a shot. Any one try it and have some suggestions? Here is a summary of the article I read.. "Try this, got this from Larry Reese at [email protected] .After you make your repairs with Apoxie Sculpt,and sanded the repair, use a paint called "Make it Suede" made by Krylon. A good bone color is 1240-BERBER. Spray the entire antler with this stuff ( two coats ).After it is completely dry add your antler stain or wood stain ( I use Min Wax Wood Finish, Special Walnut #224 with excellent results!) building your coats up slowly to the desired color. If needed, lightly hit the high spots with 000-steel wool. Once you are completely satisfied, seal it off with two coats of Krylon 1311 ( I use one coat of Rust-oleum Crystal Clear enamel-Glossy Finish). I have made several repairs using this method and haven't found better results yet! "

2. bluedog

bluedog Member

I just read this article. Wonder if anyone else has tried it with success?