1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mini-flesher for beginners

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Todd Adams, Apr 27, 2008.

1. RW,
    thats what i do to mine so it does not cut holes as fast. That old rusty hammer works great!

2. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I'm interested in buying your mini-flesher (and trying out your hangers! :)) How old is it, and does it work good with small mammals? I only in-house tan small mammals, everything else goes to tannery. I've been thinning by hand, but I think the mini-flesher is a good option.

Bobby
    (210) 857-3587

3. j davis

j davis New Member

i was wondering how you liked it compared to a regular table mounted fleshing machine..... i guess the mini hand held is better around facial areas, let me know if you dont mind :)

4. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

There's no comparison, The professional machine is ten times better even for the face, once you try one you'll wonder how you got along without it,

5. jtrapper62

jtrapper62 New Member

rossco where can I get one of those and where.Thanks

6. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

Todd, I am using KT for my tan and I am using a dremel with a wire wheel, as I don't yet have a mini flesher (just doing small critters). It's s-l-o-w, but it gets the job done much cleaner (less cuts, uniform thickness of the skin) and quicker than using a knife. My question is, do you neutralize the hide before fleshing? Or do you neutralize after fleshing? I would think that if you don't neutralize before fleshing, KT is bound to get all over your skin & clothes as the little bits of flesh are flying everywhere, so obviously I would prefer to neutralize, then flesh... but which will turn out a better hide?

7. 10inchbeard

10inchbeard Member

Bone Painter, I have used krowtann on the five deer i have done. I think the instructions that i have says to neutralize the hide after three to four days and then let dry for two hours and do final fleshing or freeze.

8. hello rossco.. were did you buy the electric mini flesher, i would like to buy one..

9. were could i buy a electric mini flesher ?

10. Great tutorial, but I have a question for you.... What do you use as your fleshing beam? I've been struggling...first it's too big, then too small, then too flat, then too round.... help! :)

11. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

Guinns taxidermy sales them , air and electric models . Ph 918-358-2796. you can look them up on here under supply compants then click on fleshing machines .

12. Silvereagle34

Silvereagle34 Member

How bout adding some photo's showing how to hold it in relation to the hide?

13. i would Silver Eagle but to be honest I got rid of the mini-flesher a while back..I got a dakota 4 now..sorry bud

14. how do you thin by hand i can get the fat and meat off but the membrain is alot tuffer. im just usin a usin a fleshing knife.

15. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

Redneck, I know i'm a beginner, but from a Bill Atkins video I learned to put a little borax on the hide when i'm fleshing that last bit of membrane, it seems to help the knife pick up the membrane. also had the same problem. just got my miniflesher and so far i'm beginning to wonder why i waited so long. LOL

16. so on small game coyote and down you just have to worry about meat and fat chucks unless its a real oily animal coon& beaver??

17. dmeyers

dmeyers New Member

Todd, is your fleshing blade a serrated or a smooth blade. If it is smooth, where did you get it?

18. tem

tem Well-Known Member

there is one in the for sale section. they want $150.00 for it.

19. just learnin

just learnin Member

I was taught to use mini flesher prior to tanning, was that incorrect?

20. tem

tem Well-Known Member

you can. but it will be slimy. i would tan it first. a lot cleaner and will grab the meat better.