1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Javalina shoulder mount pricing

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Todd K, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Todd K

Todd K New Member

Just wandered what the going rate is for a Javilina. I am in Ohio and have never done one and I got a call today for two shoulder mounts. Should I charge same as I do for a deer? Also, who's form do you recommend? Thanks

2. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

I get $50 more than my deer heads. ($475) but will be going up $25 on both. I use the Mckenzie forms with the cast nose/lip/mouth and love them! I would mount these little""stink hogs" all day long!! They are really easy to me to mount and to get a really nice mount................... and NO sewing!!!

3. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

We do them wholesale for $300. OM. on Mckenzie forms. & Mohr jawsets.

4. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I received $375.00 for this one
    Ralph
    [​IMG]

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

$575 & worth every cent. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gab

gab Active Member

495 now ,550 by next season open mouth

7. Todd K

Todd K New Member

Thank you all who responded. I imagine they are about the same to do as a boar only smaller?

8. BO-N-ARO

Here is what you get with the cast nose and lips.

9. BO-N-ARO

Another view.

10. coues_deer

coues_deer New Member

USA
    Use Mckenzie with the cast lip system. Will save a days work on the mouth rebuild! Use 16 mm bear eyes not the recommended javelina eyes as they have too much red in them. Javy eyes are dark brown. Also, their eye lashes drop down at a steep angle to protect the eye giving them a sleepy look. Price wise you need to be in the $650-750 range to cover yourself. Use lots of reference!They are fun and easy to do.

Form $132.20
    eyes 7.00
    tanning 42.00
    shipping(all) 60.00
    labor (7 hours) 175.00
    overhead 180.00
    profit 60.00
    use tax 8.41

total $665.61

11. Todd K

Todd K New Member

Thanks coues. I appreciate the tips and price breakdown. I told the guy $500 per head. I dont have any overhead so thats good enough for me. I don't think they will bring them cuz there is too many others in my area who would probably do them for $250. I am the highest around $350 deer, and $500 OM boar. Oh well, we'll see!
    Thanks to all.

12. michael p.

I like the price & see nothing wrong with it, but who the heck do you use for shipping!! LOL Shipping would be no more than $35 dollars on a bad day :) LOL

Also, i'm not starting a fight i'm just curious why your labor is not considered profit since you have your overhead adjusted to show tax

13. coues_deer

coues_deer New Member

USA
    Michael - Thanks for the response, your wages are what you pay yourself or your employee's while profit is what you put back into your business or what you earn off your employee's work. Taxidermy is one of the few trades without are "profit" on the product. As far as overhead goes everyone has overhead, only if you choose to accept it or not. If you work at home that house didn't come for free did it? My overhead is based on studio lease, insurance, phone, advertising, electricity, water which comes to $181.00 per day. I do have a large studio at 2400 SQ. FT. at $1.85 per sq foot lease.

As far as shipping I try to use Fed-ex or DHL. Too much damage from UPS (what can brown ruin for you.....). Shipping to and from the tannery plus shipping on materials usually runs about $60.00 for a deer sized animal. With McKenzie now in Utah it does help as I am in Arizona. That cross country stuff kills you!

I try to hit $25.00 per hour for myself, I did say try............last year it was $7.96 per hour after all said and done. Seems like thats gettin awfull close to minimum wage?

luckily here we only pay tax on our materials used not sales tax like those poor folks in New Mexico!

Thanks Greg

14. michael p.

Thank you for the "profit" explanation, it makes a lot of sense........plus being in Texas I am spoiled on shipping cost's, especially from McKenzie........6 whitetail shoulder mount forms is$24 ;D

15. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Is there a reason I can't view the McKenzie cast lip system on their page or is it that they just don't post pictures?

16. BO-N-ARO

here ya go

17. coues_deer

coues_deer New Member

USA
    Its in the catalog but I can't view it online either

18. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I've seen how false noses put on before, but not lips. What is the advantage of using false lips instead of just a mouthset? Do you just cut the lips all the way off at the hairline and blend with apoxie after it dries?

19. coues_deer

coues_deer New Member

USA
    yes, cut the lips at the hairline and feather in. Saves me 1-2 hours in rebuilding and painting the mouth.

20. rickey logan

rickey logan Active Member

I charge 550.00