1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mildew and mold

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Warren Stutesman, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Warren Stutesman

Warren Stutesman New Member

I recently had a customer call and their house was flooded for quite some time while on vacation. A waterline broke.
    The mounts are all undamaged except for mildew and mold. I know of several products but before i spend a lot on nothing useful i would like to know what others have used and your success with these products. Please answer here or email me or call me at home 989-826-5737.
    Thanks Warren Stutesman.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Just speculating here Warren, if the mounts were set in the sun to dry out, so would the mold, and turn to dust and mostly brush off, then maybe a disinfecting wash of some sort to follow up. Just my 2 cents.

3. Country Girl

Country Girl Hey ya'll!!!!

If it's Black mold be very cautious the spores, even when dry could cause breathing problems...check with your local Hazmat officer to be sure..

4. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

I recently tore an deer head apart to remount. It was maybe ten years old. The person that mounted it put huge grooves in to over exagerate the muscles. He only put glue in these grooves. However they did not do anything to keep the hide in the grooves so it drummed right over them. In the pockets left there was some kind of mold. This was everywhere they had put adhesive and it drummed to leave a space.

5. I would have to agree with Mr T on this one.

6. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

CG has a point. And if it is black mold, it will most likely need to be trashed.

7. If it were black mold I would never feel safe with it in the house again no matter how much it was cleaned and disinfected. Good point ladies!

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Warren, you better listen to the ladies,, just like you to to Kim. ;D