1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

altering standard form into ped

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by youngbuck66, Apr 29, 2008.

1. youngbuck66

youngbuck66 a fine maumee river walleye

Can a standard hang on the wall shoulder mount be converted into a floor pedistal? If so, how does everybody do it? Just take out the back board? Thanks in advance everyone.

2. Cut it out, add to it, It all depends on what you want your floor pedestal scene to look like.... but any form can be changed or altered

3. Leave the back board on, take your form and set it on a sheet of massonite, use a sharpie and trace around the outter edge, cut this out with a band saw or jig saw, You now have a pice of massonite shaped just like your back board, place the massonite on the back of your back board make sure all the edges are lined up and put one screw right in the middle of the massonite into the back board, now cut two blocks of wood wedge shaped (one for the top and bottom) pull the massonite away from the back board on the top and place wedge in, Repeat on bottom, you now have a curved back just foam the gap top and bottom and your done, takes about 15-20 min tops from start to finish. The biiger the wedges the more sever you back will be curved.

4. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

I leave the back board in and take file folders and wax one side, then staple and tape them around the back of my form to serve as a dam. Then I pour in some 2 part foam and let it set up good. After that remove the folders and carve to what ever shape you want. After I get it carved I usually put on a coat of bondo to help strengthen the back.

Remember to make sure you have enough hide to cover what you're adding to the form.

5. Buck-Hunter2000

Buck-Hunter2000 New Member

you can do it, my dad did it with a big white-tail that he had, but then he took it off and sold it, but yea, you can, just add wutever you want to it, and walla!

6. RATTRAP

RATTRAP Don't laugh, deer think my head is an acorn!

USe your imagination. There's "no rule" when it comes to how you want the back part of your manekin to look. Here's a pic of a wall mount manekin.

7. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

EJ since you're already doing a tutorial...(how's that coming by the way)...how about Rich, Keith or rattrap do some on their methods of making pedistals? Hmmm?? ;D

8. I will do it in the morning and post pics after.

9. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

That would be awesome, thanks!

10. The Tutorial is done. It's in the Tutorial section Ladies.

11. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,83403.0.html

There's the direct link. ;) Very nice of you to take the time Keith. :) Thanks. ;)

12. No problem Lisa, I know there are alot of different ways of doing this but this is a very fast and easy way to Get R Accomplished LOL

13. Kieth, EJ, thanks...

Very nice rattrap......

14. youngbuck66

youngbuck66 a fine maumee river walleye

thank you. thats exactly what I was looking for.

15. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Ditto on the thanks!!