1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tanning a wet tanned hide can it be done

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by mjroberts, May 1, 2008.

1. mjroberts

mjroberts gator season will be here soon

I got a hide in today and just wondering if I can get it dry tanned to make a rug out of it but the only thing is it is wet tanned does that matter if it does how can I get it to the state of makeing it to a rug

thanks mjroberts

2. What type of wet tan? SOme wet tanned capes and life size just have not had certain processes that could be done.

3. mjroberts

mjroberts gator season will be here soon

I believe it is mckinzie wet tan my question is can it be dry tanned

4. Rush

Rush New Member

Wet tan, dry tan, soft tan are the same tan, its the oil used after the tan that makes the difference. wash out the wet tan oil, which you will wash out the tan also and start over and use soft tan oil after retanning.

5. All you have to do is start breaking it immediatly. No need to wash and re tan. Most maybe all tans can be eithe rwet or dry. Wet tans dry dont they? You need to brek the hide possibly having to re oil it. I just did to flat skins soft as babies bottoms using my ez100 the difference is i broke them as they were drying.

6. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

mjrobers, Salt it down and ship to a commercial tanner. It should be OK. If you use Darrell's suggestion and re-oil and don;t mind doing the work, it will work also

Monte

7. Larry B

Larry B New Member

It is easier to mount and rehydrate a wet tan (some wet tans are so wet they don't require much of a re hydration) than a dry tan. Some use different oils for dry tans other than that it's the same.
    Like others have said, let it dry and soften it.

8. Like Darrell said oil it and start breaking the hide, you can get softening oil, mix with two parts hot water and one part oil, paint on with a brushlet sit floded for a couple hours then tumble in corn grit with mieral spirits for twenty minutes, hang up to dry and several times a day work the hide over a sturdy table edge or something , after two or three days sand the flesh side. I,m tired just thinking about it LOL
    have fun

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

W T F are you smoking??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Not all tans wash out & you use the same oi.........oh sh*t never mind, you know everything, I'll let you stay that way :p

10. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

oil the skin and tumble in sawdust.

11. Rush

Rush New Member

Michell P: I never said I knew "everything", you did, and thank you for that. There are a few way's to fix this person problem and I thought Id give some advice just like others did. Doing what I recomen ed has work for me many time's,doesn't mean anyone has to do it. I didn't see you giving any help, instead you "belittle". When I read the rules for this site, I thought it said "this was for learning and helping", so I'm offering to help you with your "belittling" problem. If you ever have another bad day like you were yesterday,please call me and I'll help walk you through it. What I do is, I try to take my negative energyand turn it into positive by HELPING others, or LEARNING from other's. Don't forget to call.

12. What species was the hide that you want to turn into a rug? A bear, small game, deer? Does it seem greasy? Is it thin? There are a few questions that need to be answered first before you proceed.

I don't use the McKenzie tan, but if the hide has been thinned down well enough, the tanning agent will have penetrated and it won't wash out. Not sure why that was in the thread. If it is not thinned down, you will probably be working with a surface tan, in which case, you are going to have a rough time breaking it due to the "raw/acidic" layer under the surface. If it is a coon, bear, or coyote, you might have to degrease it to keep it from tearing apart in the dry state from grease burn.

13. michael p.

What's your # cowboy ???

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

First you take the 8 bolts off of the top that hold the cover on, then remove the rocker cover and peel the rocker cover gasket off with a putty knife,,,,,,,,,,

15. Rush

Rush New Member

517-455-1739. Sorry to see your still having a "boo boo" day. COWBOY

16. michael p.

Turn your damn phone on cowboo

17. michael p.

O.K., score 1 for me & 1 for RUSHdie :)

18. Rush

Rush New Member

What would happen if that tanned hide was put in pure water, acid swell and hide would fall apart, no tan or put tanned hide in 120 degree water and wait to see how fast that hide falls apart. I dont know about all tans, Ive only used lutan-f and that can be washed out, but I could be wrong?

19. It's true. chrome for flat skins and lutan-F for capes.
    Regarding the "acid" swelling. If you have not enough salt in your skin will swell. The only way to stop swelling is either with salt or with the volume of water, but that defeats the object.
    Once you have fixed your oils and chemicals in the skin, well it pretty much stay there for ever. Try to remove hair from a skin thats already tanned by means of the normal hair off recipe. Not that easy.
    OK thats my five cents.
    Cheers.

20. Did you break the hide? What kind of hide was it? Was it shaved clean of the membrane above the leather or McKenzie tanned with all still on it?

If this is a fatty species, now is the time to act before it dries.....