1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tanning a wet tanned hide can it be done

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by mjroberts, May 1, 2008.

1. johnny z

johnny z there is only one way

the hide is liquitaned and then frozen
    i suggest thawing the hide
    tacking it out to dry
    or add a softening oil and then break it
    how do i know this cuz i tanned it and gave it to mjroberts
    johnny z

2. mjroberts

mjroberts gator season will be here soon

sorry guys I forgot about this post and just read it again

what I want to do is make a rug out of it. it is a hide not a cape just like jonny z said if this is all I have to do is stretch and break my question is this may sound dumb but what do you do to break I have never done this please explain thanks mike

3. Mike, reoil the skin and let it sweat for a day. Then start stretching it, rake the skin side across a peice of wood, put in a tumbler for a day if you have one, stretch it, stretch it (you want to feel those fibers breaking in your hands as you stretch it) then once you get it pretty soft stretch it. Then possibly trim off a 1/4" all the way around and stretch it. In the end run an electric sanderthen stretch the dide.

4. mjroberts

mjroberts gator season will be here soon

re-oil with what I have some kind of oil that came with a kit that I bought through McKenzie if that will work. When you say stretch it your saying to pull it right. I have never tanned anything so this is a first for me I trying to learn how to but cant seem to find the right and easy way to do it I one am no chemist at all so I need to know the easiest way to do it. I want to start tanning my deer hides but the way I was taught was with D/P on everything so I'm trying to see how cost efficient it would be for me to do it this way. I have been hearing a lot about Krotan. Is this where you flesh and put in the tan wait three days and its done or something like that. A little input on this subject would be helpful thanks mike

5. johnny z

johnny z there is only one way

since i tanned it with liquitan i would suggest you use liqui-soft by noblocks ?sp?
    i would guess you could use other softening oils like parasoft?
    just my opinion
    johnny z

6. The oil you have will work. Unfortunatly there is no easy way to break the skin unless you have a 6' tumbler with big baffles. Thats why I send ALL my flat skins and rug work out. By stretching yes I mean pull on it.

7. Liquatan deer hide. Sounds like all that is left is to dry and break. If it does not soften in your breaking process to your satisfaction, you can wet it and reoil and start over breaking the areas that seemed too hard. Follow the course Darrell has laid out for you and you should be fine.

I would add an alternative breaking method to Darrell's piece of wood. You can clamp an old axe head to a table vise and work your hide over the upturned edge.