1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Would like some opinion's. ( A shame )

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dsbragg, May 2, 2008.

1. I finished this deer last night and would like to here some Idea's on making this look good. :-\ The guy cut the left armpit out and split the brisket up to the curl while skinning the deer. I noticed and showed him, told him I was not sure if it would look right when mounted if I could stretch it or if it would even make it then. I came up with just mounting the way he wanted and coming up with some form of base or habitat to cover the area. Here are some pic's of the mount, any idea's would be appreciated! :)

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

PERSONALLY? I'd unstaple the backboard, roll the hide forward, cut off 2 inches of the manikin, recut the backboard to fit, epoxy it back in place, bull the hide and staple it back on. You'd still get more of the shoulder than you'd expect without having to jury rig the mount to hide anything you'd done. I do that more often than I like to because of some idiot with a skinning knife.

3. I agree with daddy 100%. I have to do that regularly.

4. I think that the best way to deal with this is going to be a pedestal base. Place the base of the deer in some type of grassy area and dirt or rock. I would pour an expandable foam where it expands up into the hair and then cover it with a rock mix or dirt mix which ever you like best. I prefer the rock mix. If the expandable foam goes up into the hair the cust could not separate it from the base. That would be good because if the cust decided to remove it from the base and put it on the wall it will look the way it is and it has your name attached to it. So make sure you do something that covers that area permanently and can not be removed. You could do the same thing on a wall mount by making like a rock base to it. It would really look different and that could be good or bad just depends on how creative you are. If you take my suggestions make sure the cust. pays extra for the habitat work.

5. I wasn't disagreeing with George because I'm sure his way is the easier way. Just a different idea.

6. George, I thought of that first but the hide is 3 1/2in from the edge, and I would still need some to wrap around to staple. We looked at what I would have to remove and it would be a neck mount basically. He did not want to do that. I tried to get him to go with a wall pedestal, right turn and cut that a bit but he didn't go for that. So here I am, thanks for the reply though, he learned a good lesson I hope, he is paying more as it is.

7. Pirate, that's what I plan to do. I have some idea's, but I wanted some other one's to bat around. Thanks for the reply.

8. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I would turn away the work before anything like that would leave this studio with our name on it.

9. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

George has the correct idea. Heres an idea, I mounted a bull elk that a guy pulled behind his atv. It pulled the hair out in a spot on the lower shoulder, about the size of a coffee can lid. He did'nt want to buy a cape (but wanted to pay extra to hide the spot). So I used a piece of weathered juniper and added some sage brush. The mount which was a straight upright, hung as usual on the wall and the habitat hung separately under the mount to hide the spot. I've also in the past, built a cornice box and added grass and sage to hide blunders in the chest, from skinning in the field.

10. Bill, the mount is not finished. He originally wanted just a wood panel on the back. When this is done, it will look better than he expects. When you turn those folks away, I know a guy in Florida you can send them to! ;)

Thanks for the Idea's Matt.

11. Bojack

Bojack "PR" Moro's Nocturnal Timber Ghost

I would do as George said. I've done it more than I care to even think about.

12. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

If you use a good hide paste you don't have to wrap around and staple. The skin is flush with the edge of the form on all my pedestals. I put a few pins around the edge for a day or two, just to make sure nothing moves.

13. Thanks Becky, the thing is the guy didn't want to cut the back and this is what he agreed for me to do. So, I will make the best of what I have to work with. It will look good when I finish. I will post some photo's when done. :)

14. I would do as George said also, if you dont have enough to pull around just use killer glue around that area and pin until the glue sets(about 4 hours) If you have a cape with a bad face or some other unfixable damage you can always take the missing piece from the bad cape and splice a piece in to your mount.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

ds, I know this is thinking about closing the gate after the horse is out, but if I had a customer like this guy seems to be, I'd tell him if he was that damned picky, then why the hell are you having to deal with a problem he created. Years ago, I was more tolerant of people like this. Now they have a choice in what they get after THEY screw up a hide: my way or the highway. We simply don't make enough money to conteract stupid and stupid should hurt.

16. Becky P

Amen George. Yep, when they screw it up, it doesn't leave many options - and they are usually expensive.

17. I agree with you both, but I am still wet behind the ear's and I guess haven't reached that point yet. :) I still try to make it work and make someone satisfied. This guy is in a position to get me more work so I'm willing to do it. Hopefully he likes it.

18. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

All these guys are going to bring you a ton of work. Dont build an addition on to handle it all.

19. Becky P

LOL, how many times have you heard that one? I do have some that do bring me a lot of business, It's the ones that are new, first time customers, that come in and say that, I just want to laugh - their just fishing for a discount.
    Hopefully DS, he will bring you a lot, just make sure they don't make a habit of the stupidity cuts.

20. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

Well.. after properly test fitting the cape, and discovering that it was going to be that short.. I would have recommended a custom wall bust at an additional charge, or a new cape at an additional charge. Those would have been his only options....

You don't go to the cardiologist, and tell him how to do your bypass surgery. So, you ain't coming into my shop to tell me how to mount a deer...