1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Are You Satisfied with Your Tannery ?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Alex Sr, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Alex Sr

Alex Sr New Member

Am ceratainly not satisfied with the one I used in Houston Texas, I just spent the better half of today, sewing cuts and missing parts off the face of a dall sheep, I really had it with the industry.
    Isn't there any tannery out there that takes responsibility when they ruin a cape ?, this crap is costing me a lot of $$ in man hours shipping and replacing capes out of pocket.

The fact is Am considering sueing these people, I just about had it, since last year I've been in this predicament with all the capes I sent ruined.
    The name of the tannery is Advantage Fur Dressers, I haven't sent anything else since last year nor will again, they are a bunch of arrogant MFS ! Nough Said.

2. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Wow Alex, Sorry to hear you're having problems. I've been using Lone Star Fur here in NC and I've had nothing but good service from David Patton and his crew. If you don't mind shipping your hides to NC you should give him a call.

3. That's the reason why I always send my tanned skins to Carolina Fun in Raleigh, N.C. I have tried others throughout the years and found out that Carolina Fun has never damaged any of my skins. There wet tan is the best out there as far as I am concerned and there African tanned skins are the best. So, why should I change. I am not because Rich Morgan the owner is honest, fair and sincere in his business. So, that's why I stick with a winner! Carolina Fur Dressing in Raleigh, N.C. Try them you will probably love them.

John Griffith
    www.griffithtaxidermy.com

4. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

Both the above mentioned tanneries are good tanneries. I prefer Lone Star because David is a great guy to deal with. I personally think that his capes have better stretch and he is just a phone call away. The fact that he cares about every order and watches it personally is an added bonus.

5. Alex, I've been using Advantage Fur Dressing for 11 years now, and I never had a problem with them. If something wasn't quite satisfactory, they fixed it free of charge (2 occurences in 11 years). I know they are a very good tannery, and they are more then willing to work with you. At least that has been my experience.

6. Alex Sr

Alex Sr New Member

Am Glad you had such good experience with them, I was using them for years, even when they were Con-tan in Kerville Texas , so we are talking better than 24 years .
    But all of the sudden something changed, they shave the hell out of hides including the hair side, and I got no satisfaction, Imagine 3 red stags from New zealand ruined, how do you replace that ? where do you find red stags with 28"-30" necks, unless you spend all your profit and go hunt for them.

I really will not even consider ever using them again.

7. rodney

rodney New Member

I know what you are up agents with Advantage. I sent them 8 bison last year and Advantage cut the h out of them. when I called them on it I was offered a $200.00 dollar refund that did not cover one of the hides Advantage messed up. Sent the last hides I had to Quality Fur and hope thy come back better, cant come back worse unless thy don't come back at all. I will not send another hide to Advantage.

8. trapperr

trapperr New Member

i been using modern fur dressing out of leslie mi , never had a problem with them even on coyotes & fox, they are the best i ever dealt with, 517 589-8791 if interested

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I haven't had any problems with Advantage. (knock on wood, LOL)

10. Alex,
    I was at Con-Tan when they began. We were in Conroe though, not Kerrville. Too bad about the Dall cape. That is a delicate animal and it needs to be handled by a seasoned worker no matter which tanner you use. I would advise you to request wild sheep to be handled by an experienced worker. If you get the old line about "all our people are experienced enough to do it", look elsewhere. Most tanners have people who are specialized in one species or group of hides such as African, small game, sheep, bear, etc.
    Chances are if you are seeing a change in quality, there is a good reason for it. Maybe a personnel change? Since you have gone public, it might be good to revisit the whole episode with them again.
    Good Luck!

11. Alex Sr

Alex Sr New Member

Your Right it was Conroe, I got confused because back in the 80s i went to kerville to hunt and went to conroe to drop off skins, it was a father and daughter operation back then and very nice people and work.

12. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........Start talking and our turnaround times will hurt!(LOL) They're DAMN good people to deal with aren't they!!!