1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat critique

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 1stturkey, May 5, 2008.

1. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

This is my 3d Bobcat. My 1st was awful, 2d was much improved & this one not too bad. I would appreciate any pointers. No taxidermy is easy and cats doubly so.

Thanks

2. buck slayer

buck slayer New Member

it looks very nice, maybe more pictures though, mostly of the face and head. it is hard to tell form that far away. but from what i can see you did a very nice job. the bottom of the neck looks a little to fluffed up to me. but thats just me. but groom job looks nice and i cant see anything wrong with the ears atm. good job 8)

3. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

here's a closer pic

4. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Very nice progress, your ear shapes are good!! but, one flaw of MOST cat mannikins is tyhe shape of the head- the widest point of cats is the apex of the jaw muscles- next cat mannikin you get in, look to see that is the widest part of head,, if not sculpt some cheek into it, and your hair patterns will really go on the head!!!!

5. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    I agree nice progress. As for the head shape I too have found that a roll of clay sculpted on the widest part of the jaw will really make the hair patterns line up better and the ruff stand out nicely. I'd suggest lowering the top eye lid just a bit and tuck the skin in the nostrils a little more. I can't tell for sure in the pictures, but it looks like he's walking on his tiptoes. Check your foot shape to some good reference and make sure his weight looks balanced on his feet. Overall, nice work!

6. Lenny

Lenny New Member

You got the eyes right. If you look at it, it looks like its looking back. I like the nose with a little more pink but thats just me. Over all it really looks good.

7. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll have to do the clay in the cheek on my next. I think one problem with my past cats were poor quality forms. The form is from Tab Hinton & I was much happier with the facial symettry of the form than I have when I've gone with a cheap form. It's amazing how assymetrical some of the forms on the market can be. Another thng I learned was to not add too much clay around the eyes. I did that on my first & it had that sunken eye look.

And yeah, I like more pink in the nose too but I tried not to add more color than what naturally occured. There was quite a heavy dark border present.

Thanks again

8. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

lenny, i disagree, i think the eyes are the weakest point of the mount, they are still to wide open. other than that, the nose is to dark to me, and the tip toe thing, your grooming and ear shape is great, your on your way, Russ

9. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I think it's ok but Russ is rite about the tip toe thing , usually theY will hunker down and keep three of their feet in contact with the ground, get a house cat, the second best reference you can have

10. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

I would agree with Russ on the eyes. They need some work to correct the shape and both
    the upper and lower lids appear to have alot of shrinkage. The nose looks to have alot of shrinkage
    as well. Try thinning these areas down more next time. The thinner the better.

Mike

11. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Mike,

Thanks for the comments. I did thin the eyes & nose but guess I relied too much on the tannery to take care of that. Or would more clay have helped. And yeah, I should have gotten the upper eyelid a little lower. I agree about the feet too.

thanks

Bryan

12. Russ of V.O.W.T

bryan, never rely on your tannery to fully thin any animal for you, get a skife knife if you dont have one and really bear down on the eyes , nose and lip area with it to get it as thin as possible, Russ

13. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Looks like that will be the next thing I order. Thx, Russ.

14. Russ of V.O.W.T

no problem, get a fleshing horn also, you can set it thru the eye and use it instead of your thumb, trust me you can cut your thumb ;D you can use a sharpening steel instead of a horn also.

15. its a nice cat Ask your self this did i split the eyes all the way ? it looks to me that the eyes weren't split all the way .. I'm not perfit by any shot but if i were to do another i would get a small fleshing horn and split them all the way into the lids. your cats will have a eye brow that you build out on the top most of the cats will have a pointed back side of the lid.where they join or come together. they look just like a house cat . the bottom of the eye will have a small puff so to say kinda rolls into the eye that helps the cheeks look fuller .. enough of that YOU did a fine job on the ears and the rest of the cat looks good also .. you well on your way to being good mark c