1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Floppy Wings

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Cripplecreek, May 7, 2008.

1. I feel stupid asking this question, but I've been searching & can't find the answer. I mounted a flying gadwall. The primaries are opened up fairly well. After 10 days, I removed the wires / carding. The primaries open & close freely. I have never had this happen before. They are generally rock hard after this amount of time. Any guesses as to what I've done on this one or what else I can do. I put the support wire back on to hold them open.

Thanks for any help

2. sounds like its not totally dry yet, give it a few more days....

3. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

they should eventually dry up and lock, but in the future, shoot caulk in the wings and push it around into the feather butts.

4. Don't know your location, but I'd say you probably should wait a minimum of 2 weeks to unwrap birds.
    If in an area of lower temps and high humidity, longer is better.

5. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

It has rained so much here in NC, and that slows down the drying time. Maybe that's the case with you too. Just tape the wings back up, and they will definately dry over time.

6. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to leave them alone for another week or so.

7. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

if you have access to it and want to speed things up a bit you can inject the tip of the wing with formaldihyde and this should stiffen it up pretty quickly I do this on any bird that I do not remove the meat from the tip of the wing on. MarkW

8. depending on your shop if it is closed tight get a dehumidfier and run it im in florida and ill be honest it works very good cuts drying time in half. but watch out it also cut your adjustment time in half also.. let it rain mark c