1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Baby Gray Squirrel

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Mink, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Mink

Mink Guest

Here's my latest life-size mount, a baby gray squirrel. I found it drowned in a puddle the other day. It was hard to mount, because of its small size. I couldn't even find a form to fit it, so I made my own. I am aware that I messed up on the nose a bit, but how does it look otherwise? I'm always open to suggestions. I used dry preserve on this, so the skin's really stiff, especially on the face. But I might be able to do minor changes if needed.

[​IMG]

2. ralpho

ralpho Guest

I thought all baby squirrells looked cute. This one looks like it spent some time at a Secret CIA prison.

3. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

Im impressed that you took the time to actually mount somthing that small!

4. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

Wow, I think this one is for george.

5. Mink

Mink New Member

I've mounted a lot of small things, including baby rats and a flying squirrel. Of all of them, the flying squirrel was most difficult to mount, and this baby squirrel comes in second!

6. fs

fs Guest

Mink, you are aware that animals have joints in their legs, correct? Legs don't make a smooth curve. That grey squirrel's front legs look like doll arms or rags, VERY POOR.
    To the face: the whiskers face outward and straight, not upward and curved. You made the squirrel smile by having the lip line go straight across like a dog, not the frown under the chin like it should. Pull the whisker pads downwards. Use a carcass cast and reference next time.
    This animal also needs finishing. Paint around the eyelids, reshape the ears, whatever.
    Put it on eBay if it's legal for you to pick up roadkill (or puddle kill, etc) out of season and sell it. It is not something you want in your showroom.

7. Mink

Mink New Member

Thanks for the info, fs. I'll try and fix it as best I can. I have to say you're right about the legs and whiskers. I finally found a decent photo of a baby gray squirrel, and the legs do have a much different look to them.

And I don't have a 'showroom'. I'm 18 years old and not a professional taxidermist. (I hope to be someday, though, and yes I know I've got a long ways to go!)