1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What do we "report to moderator"?

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by Lisa M, May 9, 2008.

1. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

I've been peeking around in the forum...and several guests have felt it's necessary to report things to the moderators. While looking at the "Users Online" page this morning, I saw about 12 people reporting things. :eek:! That I can see, there aren't a whole lot of threads that are out there this morning. So IMHO maybe folks are over-reporting things? But then again maybe they aren't. Back before Tutorials got here (thank you Ken) I hoped that most of the reporters were doing tutorial nominations. But there's still a lot of reporting going on. So...here are my questions. Exactly what do you Ken, Rick & Bill want us to be careful of in our threads? Are most reportings un-founded? Does it take X number of reportings before red flags really pop up for you? Of course there's some threads that are Zap-worthy before folks hit "Post" but generally speaking, what really gets your attention? What can we do to make your jobs a little less headachey? I love this site...I've learned more than I can even say. I want it to stay around for generations and if there's something we can do to make it easier for you, I want to know what it is. ;)

I'm including a copy of the forum rules with this post just in case there's someone who can't find/hasn't read them. Thank you all in advance. ;)

2. Lisa M

:-\?

3. Don Jahner

Don Jahner Well-Known Member

I have only ever reported one thing. That was when someone posted the video of actual human beheading by terrorist. I found that really disturbing, But like Bill emailed me back. There was a graphic warning in the title. I just found it odd that a beheading was OK,but slip a nip in there and it's gone before i even get a chance to see it.

4. I have reported a few things on here and refrained from reporting some that really needed to be reported, One of the most frequent things on here that I think violates rules is the Power Posting or bumping (rule # 11) , you see it all the time and in my opinion, and I know I will get blasted for this, one thing that should be considered Pwer Posting is the threads that are jsut games like the ones on here now like Word Assosiation and such which have no meaning what so ever as far as taxidermy and only eat up space on the net and gets everyone who posts on it more total posts without contributing anything.

5. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

I do genuinely appreciate all Forum members and guests who take the time to report posts to the moderators. I do not feel that posts are over-reported, because with the current volume of about 1,000 new posts each day, it is impossible for me, Bill, or Rick to see everything, so we rely on contributors to bring questionable posts to our attention.

There are many reasons that posts are reported. Some posts are reported because they are posted in the wrong category. Some guests mistakenly think they are responding to a post when they click on "Report to Moderator". Some posts are reported because the subject matter is questionable or objectionable. Some posts are reported because the post violates Forum rules.

When posts are reported to the moderator, it does not automatically mean they are removed or edited. I read the reporter's comment and then I look at the post and make my own determination as to whether or not action is required. Most of the time I do take action, but sometimes I do nothing if I don't think action is warranted.

I want to thank everyone who uses the "Report to Moderator" function to inform the moderators and administrators of spam, offensive, or wrongly posted messages. We appreciate your diligence in helping to keep the Forum clean, professional and user-friendly. By reporting problem posts in a timely manner, you are helping us to remove objectionable content in a much faster time frame than we can alone. We sincerely appreciate your involvement.

6. Lisa M

Oh yeah...the wrong category threads...I forgot those. ;) It's good that y'all aren't over whelmed Ken. :) Thank you for the little peek into Moderator Land. :D

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I don't believe it, someone would take the time to post about how other people are over reporting to the mods. GGggooooOOOOOSSSSsshhh.

8. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I'm Guilty!!! I didn't read the rules.At least not until now.I have" bumped".I did it because I saw it done before I just now read the rules.I bump something that I am trying to sell and I bump my fleshing/shaving service.My question is.Should I re-write and post pictures all over again or is it OK to bump a post of this nature?Thanks........Tom

9. Or when you disagree with someone and then you call and email their sourch and prve them wrong and they are a friend of the mod. Butt kissing always helps. But head butting poes people.

10. kazeem

kazeem New Member

Hi,
    I noticed that some members are calling innocent member from Nigeria bad names on this site this is very unfortunate i am a skull dealer from Nigeria and i have beeen trading on this site for over 3yrs thgouh i have got some nasty exprience from americans and some europeans buyers still i belive it is not everybody that are bad, pls i think this should be look into .
    Thanks.
    Kazeem

11. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Kazeem, if you feel something should be reported, see at the bottom of each post where it says "report to moderator"? Click that and you can report that particular post ;)

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I just reported you Becky. I wanted to see if it really worked. ;D

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

For what? LOL