1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Set horns incorrect

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by John Nielson, Nov 29, 2006.

1. John Nielson

John Nielson New Member

I need some help on this. I have set my antelope horns back on the cores after cleaning. I used bondo to set them. Got started on something else and have come to find that the horns were not set up high enough on the cores. Is there some way to get them off and start over, or do I need to try and cut them off at the core and spacethem with something. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
    JT

2. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

You better ask "one of the big boys" on this question!!!! Maybe Bill Yox or Carter can help... ??? Good Luck!!!

3. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

JT

boil them in hot water for a while not to long, this will soften the horn and all so draw out any grease on the inside of the horn, then take them out of the hot water grab them with a towel or rag etc and pull them off the core, you may need to try and twist them side to side to free them,
    if this works, when you get the horn off and if its still warm from boiling put them into cold water as this stops horns from shrinking when you boil them

best of luck

4. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

I know you can boil your pronghorn skull to take the horns off the core when they are fresh, but this will also pop the horns off the core with bondo already in place???? ???

5. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

it worked for me with with a set of horns similar to prong horn, :)

6. paul e

paul e New Member

you can get um off if you used bondo
    if you use epoxy well it aint coming off

7. John Nielson

John Nielson New Member

Thanks guys and gals I'll give it a try. They were put on with bondo, no epoxy.

JT