1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how many of you are self taught

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by show me state, May 13, 2008.

1. How many of the members out there are self taught. By that i mean learning from books,videos,and,this site.

2. woodie

woodie New Member

I am self taught. I was part time for 6 years then I went full time for 8 years,
    and now I run a bear hunting camp in Ontario,but still do taxidermy in
    the off season.

Jtown likes this.

3. I'm in the wonderful process of "self-learning" right now.

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

i am. i had a bass done that cost me $200, and a fisher that cost me $375. then i got into trapping and decided i wasn't gonna pay someone else to do it, i was gonna get videos on how to do it myself. then friends wanted me to mount their deer, and here i am 4 years later still learning.

5. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

I am self taught also.

6. Mason

Mason Active Member

Us also,
    We're almost in the same boat as red wolf. But this is only our second year.

Mason Ron and Linda

7. I am 85% self taught. My dad did taxidermy in the early 90's, and got out of it when me and my sisters got buse with sports and everything else. I shot a coyote 4 years ago and asked him if I could mount it. He showed me once, and said the rest is yours.

8. boneman-2008

boneman-2008 New Member

I am self taught from videos and this site and far from doing this for a living . Only did 2 deer mounts so far . Not show room but good enough for my wall and descent compared to some locals work also . I mostly wanted to do this for my self any way . I do some shed collecting in the winter and get a few good sets from time to time and can't see paying someone crazy dollars for what i can do my self . Around here to have someone mount sheds plus a cape your looking at around 600 . When as you know if you have a cape its very cheap . And i love to have heads hanging every where . I now have 4deer heads with my 5 fish and by the time deer season rolls around probably another 3-4 deer . I sure am lucky my wife likes this stuff also .

9. WST

WST New Member

self taught here also.

10. B2L

B2L New Member

I'ld be included in this category.. I read on here... watched a video from 100 years ago.. and went at it... just takes a little patience... a little swearing.. a lot of snuff... but it's better than teaching mouthy lazy kids :eek: Just need to get really good so the full time teaching job can become a every so often substitute job... ;D
    Eric

11. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I myself am pretty much self taught. I watched a guy mount 1 deer head and have been solo ever since. I do however attend as many seminars and worshops that I can.

12. hicntry

hicntry New Member

Hello,

I am also self taught and just new of taxidermy in 1999. Started the company on January 1st of 2000 and could not be happier to say I am a taxidermist/wildlife artist. My first ever mount was a life size bighorn sheep!!!! I love the industry and believe that our dreams are pretty much at hands reach with motivation and a positive outlook. Thanks and enjoy reading everyones posts. Never even hunted until I started doing taxidermy as I found out that is how taxidermists get their animals in!!!!! I know I must of being hiding under a rock while going through College.

Edwin Alarcon
    Owner - High Country Taxidermy
    www.highcountrytaxidermy.com

13. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I am self taught, by the fact "really" self taught. I started in 1979 when there were no videos or internet to give advice and very few books available on taxidermy. This was a time when taxidermist were reluctant to share their treasured trade secret and didn't care to share information. So I learned form the Northwestern School of Taxidermy mail order course and by keeping the neighborhood free of medium sized birds and grey squirrels, leaned through trial and error. By the mid to late 80's when the video revolution was in full swing, I was far enough progressed in taxidermy ( I thought) that I felt I didn't need any videos. Today, a guy or gal can get into taxidermy relatively quick with all the information, schools and of course the videos and DVDs available now. What took me ten years to learn on my own can now be learned in 6 months or less.

14. Also self taught. For two year's I took in all I could from book's, vid's, and this sight. This sight helped me more than anything.

15. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Self taught here too for the first 9 years then I joined the association and have taken a few one on one classes.

16. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    I have never attended a school or any formal training. In the late 80's, I started with a book I bought from Bass Pro Shops. It was soon supplemented with a few Breakthrough manuals and WASCO videos. The biggest boost in my taxidermy education came in 1994 when I joined the Oklahoma Taxidermists Association. The amount of information I picked up through attending their events was immeasurable. Breakthrough magazine has also been a major contributor to my taxidermy education.

17. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I started with the Northwestern School of Taxidermy manuals, So I guess you could say I am self taught. I got the basics from them but evolved from there to modern techniques. The Breakthrough manuals were also a big help. I forgot to mention I spent a week at Stephan Savides Master bird workshop 2 years ago, money well spent I must say.

Todd B

18. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I'm Taxidermy.net forum taught.
    That and a few videos, books and a whole lot of experimentation.

19. rcb

rcb home is where the heart is, it's good to be home

I too am self taught. Videos from WASCO in 1993, certified taxidermist 1994

20. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I also forgot to chime in about my local association. Joining N.E.A.T. has been the biggest boost in my education as well. Of course Taxinet has been a great help as well.