1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

african hide problem

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Shawn73, May 14, 2008.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

i have a tanned wildebeest cape that i rehydrated and i still have some tough spots. a friend of mine said i should throw in the pickle for a little bit and it will soften back up. keep in mind its already a tanned cape and by who i don't no. has any one tried this before.

2. OK, what I do with skins that does not want to soften up is leave them in the soak/picklefor as Long as possible. Temperature plays a role as well as the amount of salt. It some times help to take a rubber hammer and work the hard spots.
    What I find hard to understand is that you say that the cape is already tanned! Did you receive that cape as a dip and ship direct from Africa or.....?

3. I find that wire wheeling hard areas during the rehydration process will SOMETIMES allow those spots to relax alittle more.
    I will check a hide after sweating overnight, wire wheel any tough spots, and then sponge more water w/soda on the wired spots and let sweat another night.

4. ed150

ed150 deer city time

the salt thing did help me on some skins

5. hey use relax r . works great great great on stubborn african hides . and break in those spots as it drys .. it should work