1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Life tone / vers hydromist or waterbase

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by wistim29, May 18, 2008.

1. wistim29

wistim29 New Member

Just wanted to hear what u guys think of each an which u prefer

2. duckman

duckman New Member

hydromist all the way!

3. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I've always used waterbase paint. when I first started doing taxidermy in 1970. I did it in my parents basement. Tried all kinds of paint and the fumes would go thru the house. Waterbase of course, had hardly any fumes. Now, with raising seven children, I cant see exposing them and myself to the harmful fumes of lacquer.

4. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I like the way laquer sprays better but I use waterbase. I do use a few laquers that I can't get in waterbase very occassionally.

5. I use both polytranspar waterbase....but when I gloss..and seal.. i use hydromist.....

6. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

I use Lifetone Lacquer base. Faster drying and easier cleanup. To me, waterbase paint just doesnt have the same clean look as Lacquer does. Try both and then decide which you prefer.

7. xhunter911

xhunter911 A dead coyote is a good coyote! Save the Deer

I like water base paints myself!

8. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

I use lacquer polytranspar and some lifetone for most of my painting . water base for most of my habitat work .

9. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

lacquer lifetone. two part clear.

10. lacquer all the way!

People think just because you can breath the waterbase and not get buzzed its fine,

wrong just as bad as lacquer!!

11. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

wa polytranspar is my choice of paint.

12. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

breathing vapor and fumes from waterbased paint may be bad for you, I'm not sure, but what I am sure about, I cant breath lacquer fumes, after a couple of minutes, my airways are closing and I cant breath.

13. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

Polytranspar but I do use a little lacquer. I like wildlife mudd green for dark instead of dark bass green and some other colors also . I interchange colors of different manufactuers all the time I just don't mix them for colors with no ill effects except I usually do not use lifetone or hydromist.

14. Terry

Terry De-lighted to be living in Alaska!

Polytranspar water based, with a few other colors from Wildlife Colors. Liquid Scales for tipping and Krylon Triple Thick for glossing.

15. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I believe the both have their pros and cons. I use polytranspar water base and like it fine, and have noticed some of the top guys in the business use it too. Besides, the Polytranspar award looks cooler than the Lifetone award!LOL

16. I use Polytranspar water base paints along with a few Lifetone paints such as Chrome Pearlescents when needed. Laquer paint fume and fiberglass resin vapors are avoidable and I have good results without them.

17. I've Tried em ALL & still keep BOTH in Stock, for STUDENTS to TRY BOTH & Choose for themselves !

Myself & for MOST students THE Lacquers are MUCH easier to USE . THey are easier to mix, clean up , LESS airbrush Problems etc.

Wear a spray mask on volume work / sealing & Glossing et. & HAVE an exhaust FAN !

Water base paints STILL smell & they are Plastic base & the MIST dries in your nose & is Worse to clean out . Masks are needed for BOTH to BE safe ! I never use a mask oftim enough, but work in front of the FAN asap ...........................................

Also, I don't like the water base colors , BUT it is WHAT YOU GET USED to I think ?

Glossing is another subject !..................................