1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BEST ALL AROUND SCHOOLS IN THE NATION

Discussion in 'Training' started by GUN, May 19, 2008.

1. GUN

GUN New Member

HEY GUYS I AM CURRENTLY A FULL TIME CHARTER CAPTAIN ON THE GREAT LAKES OF MICHIGAN AND GUIDE FOR THE 5 SPECIES OF LAKE MICHIGAN AND WITH TODAY'S ECONOMY I AM FORCED TO PICK UP ( ACTUALLY PURSUING A "DREAM") THE ART AND PROFFESSION OF TAXIDERMY AND WAS WONDERING ON EVERYBODY'S THOUGHTS AS TO WHAT SCHOOL ONE MIGHT WISH TO CONCIDER. YOU CAN SEARCH THE WEB BUT THEY ALL CLAIM TO BE REALLY GOOD AND I'M SURE THAT THEY ARE BUT WOULD LIKE SOME INSIGHT ON THE SUBJECT AS YOU ARE THE ONE'S IN THE LINE OF WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

THKS IN ADVANCE
    GUN
    RUN-N-GUN CHARTERS
    www.rngcharters.com

2. northflorida

northflorida New Member

check out www.schooloftaxidermy.net

3. Gina

Gina New Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/learn/schools1.html

Heres a big Ol' list you can browse :)

4. Debbie N

Debbie N New Member

MA.
    If your looking for fish taxidermy training then you would look for Rick Krane his work is the best or around the best period and as far as teaching goes I can say as a student of his that the class was wroth more then money could spend. Look at his past student work and there accomplishments it speaks for it's self. Bill Willis is from MI and so is Dan Smithgall who are both great fish taxidermist who learned fish with Rick. Check it out for your self. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,353.0.html
    Stan

5. Hi Everyone ! As for schools of Taxidermy ....DO check ALL the ones YOU can...................Compare Prices & ALL the other things ...as well ...................flexability of dates, course contents & length, choice of days & hours, lodging etc. ........................Find something to FIT YOU BEST !

BUT, Remember ONE thing ...........................Beginners NEED to learn the Basics first , so Don't expect to do TOP - World class competition work JUST out of ANY schooling ......................Learning to DO Quality Commercial work FIRST is important !

ALSO, CONSIDER , ALL OPTIONS : If you can FIND someone that WILL teach / train YOU on a Personal level, ONE student course ,,,,,,,,,,,,, then , by ALL means..................... Consider the .................

VALUE this MIGHT have ? We only take a FEW students PER YEAR, so WE can FLEX anything a potentual student desires !

Group courses are usually cheaper, BUT NOT ALWAYS, & YOU WILL HAVE a LOT more Boundries to adhere to !

Good LUCK & GOD Bless you ALL in your search for the BEST schools , wherever you might end up going !

TRY self teaching YOURSELF FIRST, also, thru books & videos etc...............................

From the Land of OZZ & the ( Northeast School of Taxidermy )............ I am HERE to answer ANY questions YOU might have on going to School to learn this Unique TRADE ! ( www.larrystaxidermy.com )

I WILL even FLEX Prices to HELP someone who can SHOW me the NEED !

6. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Before you spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars to attend a school pick up some video training DVD's for around thirty dollars. You can still attend a school after, but you will have a little sound background to build from. try www.kastaway.com

7. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

Do like Tony say's get some video's or books first then think about attending a school. You can spend a lot of money on a school. I went to a school in Montana that taught the basics and I think it was a good school. In hindsight though I would probably attend some 1 on 1 training by people like Rick Krane, Bill Yox, etc. Take their classes as you have time and are ready to move on to each phase of taxidermy. After taking a fish class you may decide that's all you care to do. Then you wont have to spend money for training that you dont care to do. It's just a perspective from someone who went to a school in the end just do whats right for you but dont jump into a school without doing some research.

8. All I can speak for is fish. Do some research on Rick Krane you want be disappointed. Check out all of his students work or just give him a call. if you've never done any taxidermy work before he can start you with the basics or carry right on to competition work. I had been doing fish taxidermy work for 2 years when I went to him. I was doin OK work before but he helped me better everything I was doing. He can tell you what kind of workshop you need to be interested in. I did both skin and reproductions with him. I knew how to do both but he sure showed my easier, faster and better ways to do both of them. Good Luck

9. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I would

I would like others have said, get a BASIC foundation first, then I would spend the $$ and go to SPECIFIC instruction/classes. Pick a fish person, then a deer head guy, then a mammal guy, then a bird guy, etc.. They will also teach you how to do bases, etc.. There is no quick fix....take the time (basics), then go for the specifics. In the end you will be better off then just one school IMO.

Kerby...

10. northflorida

northflorida New Member

Rick Krane is great in fish, we seen him at FL.convention, very good guy. We teach Deer, Hog Bird, horn mount , ducks and fish in 5 wk. We only have openings for two more classes this year.The only school in FL. We offer a pool and a trailer to stay in on property plus meals for a small fee. Check our web page www.schooloftaxidermy.net

11. dogfish

dogfish New Member

my opinion the academy of wildlife art( Pennsylvania) with Jason Snoberger and Gary Bruch would be a good choice
    you could join your state taxidermy association go to state show and sit in on seminars

12. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Rick Krane is your man for Fish.........

13. The place to start is with the WASCO BReakthrough manuals, then a video/DVD or several, then go to soe state shows and see if that where you really want to be. then seek out the advanced one on one courses.

14. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Dogfish the Academy of Wildlife Art has closed. Jason is busy developing his bronze portfolio--he really enjoys the sculpturing. I still teach private one on one fish only workshops.

15. cotaxidermy

cotaxidermy New Member

Colorado Institute of Taxidermy Training Inc.
    www.coloradotaxidermyschool.com

16. rcb

rcb home is where the heart is, it's good to be home

I have to agree with John C. the best money I have spent is with WASCO.

17. Check out Stoney Hills School of Taxidermy. I just finished the school in April. Small classes (3 students in my class) lots of 1 on 1. Seperate excellent instructors for birds and fish. I learned more in a month than I ever imagined.

18. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Some truly good advice here. I personally thank the kind folks who entrust in my workshops and the results of the dedicated folks who take them with me. I would add only this. There are many wonderful schools out there and we live in a time of some of the best top instructors out here. Spend some time and call or email each one you consider and ask good questions and here what folks have to say. Find the right fit for you. Not all schools will meet your needs perhaps regardless of the outstanding teachers efforts you will need to find the right n for you and I would start by call these great folks!

My Best!

Rick Krane