1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

question about awata

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by fozziebear, May 21, 2008.

1. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

I am about to buy a new airbrush,i have a pasche,dont like it,going to buy awata, was looking at the hp-bcs 98 bucks. I was wonderig if it was sufficient enouph to do fish or do i have to get the hp-bc for 200 bucks,i also was wondering if my compressor i bought from van dykes with my pasche i compatable with the awata thanks guys and gals

2. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

If I'm not mistaken (I'm not digging out a catalog tonight) the hp-bcs is only a 5mm tip and that is the only size available for it, so it may not be fine enough depending on how small you need to go.
    With the hp-bc, I believe you have 3 choices with the smallest being a 2mm - I think.

3. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

thanks becky for your input,i think you are right on the tip it advertised that it could do hairline up to 2in or so,iwas hopeing i wouldnt have to spend the other 100 bucks but i guess i already have an airbrush that doesnt do what i want ,i better not get another one that i dont like. but do i have to buy another compressor from awata or can i use the same one i bought with my (toy pasche airbrush)?Also has anyone ever used the awata hp-bcs?

4. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

OK, I can't keep up with all those letters so I went out and checked mine this morning. I have the HP-BC Plus and the HP-BCS. I got the BCS at a pawn shop for almost nothing. I've used it once while waiting on the BC Plus to get here. Night and day difference. The only time I'd use the BCS would be on a big redfish or something like that need to cover a lot of area. I'd spend the difference ;)

I would think that you could use that compressor. I don't have an "airbrush" compressor, I just have a regular small compressor that cycles on and off.

5. adamo

adamo New Member

I also use a regular air compressor, have it in the garage with an air hose ran down into my basement to my art room... works pretty good.

Fozziebear, you will probably need an Iwata hose but not a new compressor. The outlet from the compressor is usually the same on all, but where the airbrush connects to the hose is different for almost all models... you can buy adaptors that make a paasche air hose work on iwata airbrush

6. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

7. Dangitboy

Dangitboy Member

Fozziebear,
    You could use the same hose you have, all you have to do it order and adapter.
    WASCO has them. Item #PA32- Converts Iwata airbrushs to use Paasche airbrush hoses.
    I also bought an Iwata that I use for fine detail. I still use my Paasche for blending, just depends on what I'm working on.
    Good luck,
    Dangit

8. ok, so what's the difference between the Iwata BCS Eclipse, and the 3500(3550) Eclipse SBS? Which one would you use for fish and deer?
    $84, $116, $145 respectively.

Thanks

Wild Tracks

9. livbucks

The BCS is a suction feed bottom bottle design. They have a larger nozzle, and if you make a lot of color changes, are harder and slower to clean. They are designed for spraying a lot of paint. They need higher pressures to draw the paint up from the bottle.
    http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/airbrush/eclipse/hpbcs_info.jsp

The SBS is a small side cup, gravity fed design. Gravity fed models can operate at much lower air pressures and usually have a smaller nozzle tip and can do finer detail. If you spray small amounts of paint, and change colors often, this is the type that you want. The SBS comes with a 1/4 oz. cup, that can be put on either side, and can be tilted when spraying at an angle.
    http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/airbrush/eclipse/hpsbs_info.jsp

The SBS 3550 is the same brush as the 3500, but comes with the additional 1/2 oz. cup and side bottle, that can hold more paint if you need it. They call it the autographics SBS model. Personally, I don't think the larger cup and bottle are needed for taxidermy work, you probably would never need them.

I would stay away from suction fed models for taxidermy and go with a gravity feed. They make many models of gravity fed brushes, including the BS.
    http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/airbrush/eclipse/hpbs_info.jsp

10. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

hey livbucks,so if im mainly doing walleye and smaller what would you recomend,and still get the finest detail ......thank fozz

11. ok go for gravity fed iwata hi-line, your airline is the same but different conections for the commpresser.......

12. livbucks

For a specific model, I would look in the fish section and post a question there or PM one of the more knowledgeable fish guys or gals.
    If you could get Rick Krane to make a recommendation, you would be doing good.
    I have not dabbled in fish as of yet.

13. bdahyrt

bdahyrt New Member

hp-ch is good, but the custom microns are tops!

14. ok, livbucks

would you think the SBS is sufficient for fish or spend another $100 and go with the HP SB Plus???

Wild Tracks

15. ok the same question is floating around in the fish category. Pescado posted that the SBS is your best bet if you use pearls or irredescents because it has the .35 mm tip. Thanks for everyones input.

16. livbucks

I'd say if you have the extra money, get the better one.
    Always buy the best tools you can.

I do notice that the SB PLus has the very small nozzle, (.2). Yes, it will do extremely fine detail, but will falter when spraying larger areas and may be more finicky as far as what paints will spray well through it. If you get it, you may end up buying a second brush to spray sealers and larger coverage paints.
    You need to get one that is in the middle of your range of uses for it.

17. thanks!!

Wild Tracks

18. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

The tip size(in mm) is what you need to know. The Paasche #1 tip is .55mm and it is NOT a detail tip. The .20mm tip of the Iwata IS a detail tip in every way, but doesn't spray metallic or pearl. Personally I wouldn't pick an in between tip size to do both jobs. Buy a good .20 tip Iwata for your detail work and get a cheaper airbrush(or another expensive one) with a larger size tip to do the broad coverage work.

19. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

best answer yet OLD FART, i just bought the hp-sps .35mm $116.00 plus under $7.00 for the adapter from pasche to awata for the hose,ill keep my toy pasche for broad coverage.

20. livbucks

If you go to Pat Catan's, they had the Quick Connector that you put on the hose. The adapter for Iwata and Paasche are like $1 each. Nothing nicer than QD couplers all around.