1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

question about awata

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by fozziebear, May 21, 2008.

1. kosmonot

kosmonot New Member

Fozzie, not sure if you got that new gun yet - but thought you might want to check out a post I made regarding some factors to consider related to some other posters airbrush questions - and so you might also realize there is another exceptional brand of airbrush to consider that offers superior performance features and is less costly.

Kosmonot out.

Jneilo,

Not an Iwata guy - but do know that the tip size you choose on any brand is not the sole relevant factor of how fine it sprays or how well it sprays a given medium. Fine, Medium, Large, .21, .35 or 1, 3, 5 do not only pertain to the tip size as far as which you should choose and use, in fact they tend to apply more to the medium type you are spraying. Yes, the finest tip will allow the finest line but it will only do so consistently when sprayed with the proper medium. You can get most taxidermy paints to work but you must do some thinning for any consistency in that regard. I use a Badger 100LG with the fine tip (.2) and more recently a Badger Renegade Velocity with the ultra-fine tip (.18), but I am always certain my paints are the viscosity of 2% milk or finer. If doing this I never have probs and get tight hairline detail from these guns. The other thing I have seen to make a difference is the linear air flow angle to the tip of the needle - this was actually expalined to me as what detrmines how the paint actually leaves the needle. The tip size determines the partical matter size that can exit the nozzle, but the linear air flow angle determines how fine the line pattern is once it leaves it the needle and exits the paint tip. So the lesser the the linear airflow angle the tighter the line. This is why I have gone over now to the Renegade as the linear air flow angle is a full degree less than the 100 (and the Iwata HP series as well for all you Iwata hounds) and thus enables tighter lines with no additional user skill. By the way - this new gun also comes with a factory carbide polished needle which even further tightens the line pattern. Anyhow, being a "proud to be using an American product" guy I figured I take this opp to help with your question and plug something excellent made here in the States that doesn't seem to get much due consideration from this forum.

Kosmonot out.

2. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

thanks,kosmonot,i already bought it ,im just starting out so i just do what im told, now buying any airbrush isnt gonna fix the problem i have .....lol...lots of ugly fish,lots of practice,lots more ugly fish,lots more practice,then maybe ill see the light at the end of the tunnel,i took a break from fish for a while ,im consentrating on deer at the momment,now thats another feasco......well thanks for the info...AND WISH ME LUCK IM STRESSSEN HERE.....lol.....THE FOZZZ

3. kosmonot

kosmonot New Member

good luck. the only thing that can't be taught is practice. but don't stress out over it, enjoy it! It all come easier if you do.

Kosmonot out.