1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

does Krowtann STAIN????

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by cbill333, May 26, 2008.

1. cbill333

cbill333 Readers are Leaders!!

i've just krowtanned my first hides....one is a brown and white rat skin. The white fur is now yellowish! ive washed it in tide and dawn. Does anyone know if this is normal or not. and what could i do before i mount it tomorrow???
    thank you thank you for the help...if i get it! ;D

2. did you follow the instructions right???????????????????

3. cbill333

to a T....i think. I've read and reread the instructions. i used Morton salt, could that be it?? I was extra cautious and trying to get it perfect. maybe it will come out whiter when it dries!???

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You mean that with all these Krowtann experts constantly touting it here NO ONE ANSWERED YOU???

I would suspect, now this is just pure speculation, that your fur was "flash burned". I've seen it happen with white birds in alkali solutions and I don't know why it wouldn't happen to hides in acidic solutions.

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Cant be the krowtan George. Its "foolproof".

6. did you use non iodine salt

7. George

Iodized salt has nothing to do with that brushwolf. There is such an infinitesimal amount of iodine in salt that it's really a non-factor and tends to be one of the "old wives tales" of this industry. Iodine, if present in sufficient quantities, would stain it purple/brown rather than yellow.

8. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I can't answer it if I don't know the answer...............I've never had it stain any of the skins I've used it on..........This is one for the experts(Monte,Oldshaver,ext.....)..........There's no such thing as a Krowtan Expert George and I don't know of any procedure that is "foolproof" .Just sounds to me like you two are on the hunt for another argument.George to instigate it and Billy to back it up with short line or two lol...................

9. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

With your knowledge Tommy you are totally outclassed arent you? Get another dozen years experience & we will see if you catch up to George & I.

10. TD

Ah Com-on now you can do better than that Bill.Is that all you got lol..........George will show you how it's done............(Game on remember)

11. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I've never tanned, oops exuse me George ;), used it on anything that was solid white, but the white markings on other stuff never stained.

Could it be set blood stains?
    Also white doesn't always look white until it dries. A Texas dall I recently mounted didn't look white until I dried it. Even after bleaching it twice per George's instructions (thank you George) it still looked a little dingy until it dried, it's still not pure white but I don't think it ever was. (It was commercially tanned, most bigger stuff I send out)

12. George

Tom, maybe you'd like to check the archives and see if I've ever used the term "foolproof". I do recall making a comment about "idiotproof" once and it was only to say we could never hope for that as there are too many new idiots coming along every day. I THINK that term "foolproof" was used by one of you guys who saturate all the tanning posts with Krowtann.

Perhaps Monte might address it as I recall his history and some problems he had along the way. I sort of doubt Old Shaver would ever see that as his vats are chemically controlled and monitored. "Flash burn" happens when we have unknown concentrations and unmonitored exposure times involved. That simply doesn't happen at professional tanneries, but then again, they don't use Krowtann either.

And I don't see this as any "game". A legitimate question was asked and NO ONE ANSWERED. Yet just a few hours earlier someone had asked for a better choice IN PICKLES AND TANS and immediately got 5 or 6 people who told him he should switch to Krowtann. Funny how the worm can turn when the tables turn, isn't it. Where were THEY when THIS quesion was asked??? (Sort of goes back to my original comment to you Tom about an unknown,unproven product that I suspected as being a pickle-tan, doesn't it? There seems to be a great deal about this snake oil that many people simply "don't know the answer" to.)

Deer and antelope hair are just different from "furred" animals and I suspect this is just what I described. If you're going to use it, make sure you stick to dark furs or to big game animals. I'd stay away from ermine and white rats.

13. TD

I haven't done any Dall rams(anything really white) since I've started using Krowtan but I would be very interested in how this turns out in case someone sends me one.............

14. George

Tom, I'd caution ANYONE doing tanning with ANY PRODUCT to forego shop tanning Dall and mountain goat. Any of a myriad of problems can happen with those guys and replacements get rather expensive. Send those hides out and have them professionally done. Damned if I'd want to be a guinnea pig.

15. Becky P

As far as not being answered, I just saw this thread and haven't seen the other one you referred too.

Is ermine/rat hair that much different from say bobcat? I've never had bobcat hair to stain. I'll probably never do a rat or even an ermine, but it would be something nice to know for future reference just in case.

16. TD

You know George........I've only done two Dall Rams in my career and now that I've given it some thought........You are absolutely right.....Those buggers are a pain in the but and I will have to turn them down.........The "foolproof"statement was addressed to Bill and the game-on comment was as well..........

17. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

I don't know what happened. I posted a reply to this and it is gone. Where did it go????

There is not enough data too answer the question without a lot of guessing .

George, I think the history you are talking about, is concerning the experiments I ran using glutraldahyde , it turned some hair yellow. Unless it is in the Krotan it is not a factor in this case.

There are many factors that will turn hair yellow.
    You are correct in saying that commercial tanners usually do not have this problem.

18. cbill333

Gosh!! OK well thank you everyone for the suggestions and whatnot. I'm beginning to think that it will lighten up after its fully dry, and if there really is interest in the outcome, I will post either good news or......more questions! ::)

luckily I'm only doing this for my own kicks and giggles. plus rats are free and easy to come by at one of the 100 pet shops out here! thanks again guys and gals.

19. Becky P

Please let us know if it lightens upon drying.

20. cbill - what type of containers were you using to house the hides as they were tanning? the onyl thing I can think of is that there might have been a chemical reaction which caused the chagne in color. George shot down my first thought, that maybe the iodine in the salt could have caused the color change....kinda like what they say gives the pink to the flamingos...

if you used a metal container, it could have created a problem with the mixture resulting in the color change... did the brown protions change to darker or anything?