1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezing After Salting

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by big dog, May 27, 2008.

1. big dog

big dog New Member

I have a coyote that I am planning on tanning with jrts. After I have salted the hide for 2 days, will it hurt it to place it back in the freezer until I can complete the process? Also, do I degrease it and rinse before I put the tanning cream on? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

salt or freeze never both.

3. Felpy

Felpy New Member

We salt and freeze all the time and never had a problem, but they are not in the freezer for more than 3 months. This works great for the large hides that can take up to 3 days to thaw out enough to work on them.

4. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

You can if you want to. I usually put my salt dried hides in the freezer to keep the humidity off them. Gives me more peace of mind .

5. salt will slow down the amount of time it takes to freeze something, in fact salt is used in cold climates to melt ice....the concept of salting before freezing makes little if any sense. the idea of freezing is to as quickly as possible get it frozen there is no reason to slow it down.

6. Jerry C

Jerry C a good liberal is hard to find

I use JRTS and sometimes freeze salted skins. Never had a problem, but I don't leave them too long either.