1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Professional tanning- Is there such a thing today?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, May 28, 2008.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I have made posts

2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Oldshaver, sounds like your talking about the taxidermy business !
    Same holds true for the taxidermy business as the tanning business. ;D
    Kinda like Professional Licensed Taxidermist? Doesn't that make a hunter feel secure??
    Anyone can get a taxidermy license and hang out a shingle.
    How you been you old cremudian. ;D
    GOOD POST ! NAH,, GREAT POST !

Someday they will all figure out we live or DIE by our tanners.
    Your mount is ONLY going to be as good as the guy shaving and tanning your skins.

3. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I see where you are coming from OS but that goes in any business out there.It's the same as when someone takes a trophy to a cheap Taxidermist and gets a crappy job.I guess there are tanneries doing the same.It's the Owner behind the business and the way he runs his business,large or small.A bad tannery shouldn't hurt you the same as a bad taxidermist doesn't hurt me.I stay slammed with work even though there are cheaper operations right around the corner.If someone else bought your tannery out and started running it.It can go down the tubes if the Owner doesn't keep it going right and keep good skilled shavers on to put out the best quality available.That's just my opinion.............Tom

4. Size of the shed dont make the tan.

Like the word taxidermist, tanner is not any different anyone can hang a shingle and its all the same its a word it did not get you where you are going and it wont keep you there.

The proof is in the work!

So someone sent a hide to save abuck, they are the same people who try to save a buck by using caulking for hide paste. they use the canned foam for altering a form, they use the cheapest convex eyes in their deer or use a eye that is black in thier deer.

Or bitch about Krowtann when they have not used it and have a onesided opinion developed by their closed mind. The "It's my way or the highway" attitude!

So someone tried to save a dollar or two and they paid for it LOL. sound like they are the real winner in taxidermy anyway, they had all that experience and still screwed up LOL.

5. TD

I agree with you John.........All but the caulcking...........It's not cheaper............it's very expensive..............

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

John, since you're on a roll this morning, you've managed to get me on one as well. Now you and Tom have BOTH made statements about "people bitching about Krowtann without ever having used it". Now I want to know EXACTLY WHO that person might be you're referring to. Tom tried to make it sound like me, but that's just a bald faced lie PERIOD. And on top of that, guess who MY tannery of choice is? A few people around this place know the truth of this whole sordid matter, but a couple of you remain in denial. I DON'T use Krowtann because I DON'T LIKE WHAT I KNOW IT TO BE and I DIDN'T LIKE THE RESULTS I GOT. I don't use DP on large game because of the exact same reason. And YES, I use a paint on tan for my deer, but everything else gets sent to a PROFESSIONAL TANNERY THAT'S EARNED ITS REPUTATION and to a greater degree, my respect for quality workmanship. If you guys want to put green, raw capes on your manikins without using any hide paste, it's fine with me. I don't have to worry about your customers. But then don't try to come on here and paint this fairytale story about how a pumpkin can turn into a carriage and rats turn into horses either. I'm not buying it and I try to protect beginners from thinking a product is what it advertises itself to be rather than what chemically it actually IS.

7. TD

George.............If you consider opening a bottle of krowtan and smelling(You don't like the smell) it then sticking some PH paper in it is using it then fine.You have used it.I guess it just didn't give you the buzzz that you was expecting............Might have even damaged a few brain cells(the ones the control REASONING).

8. Geroge there more to the story, you will not even answer your phone when a certain someone calls and then dont return the calls.

That alone is proof you cannot handle the truth Roof!! You have not used KT enought o know how it works.

My bet is with JRTCream you have found your simple paint on way of INSTANT PRESERVING. Yep just paint it on and mount, you can do the same with Liqa-tan and get the same results.

Geogre with all due respect you come to the Krowtan articles half loaded and that half loaded with your one of a kind crap, you dont like it so you dont use it and you have not used it enough to be a KNOWLEDGABLE VOICE on it!!!

Yes ROOF YOu dont know enough about it to do the talk.

If is smells like roofs crap the its nothing more than roofs crap.

George you simply dont like Krowtan because Brian dont kiss you butt and I dont buy you crap.

Before you say I am on the payroll I will say I can prove I pay for all my Panels and Krowtann full price.

KROWTANN WORKS, JRTS will eave your mount smelling moldy!! Iuse that crap you paint in for a couple years and its not any better than a paint on DP.

I am leaving for the studio and will not be back until this evening. So this is the last post until then.

George, Call Brain and ask him for a samlpe of a Krwotanned hide, I know he will send you one. or dont you have the guttS.

9. TD

I have a sample I will send you George................The same piece I was doing during one of our little debates...........

10. George

You guys are really full of it this morning. Now CREAGER, for your information, when Brian Harness CALLED ME, I was in South Carolina at a family funeral (Damned silly Southerners. They actually have access to the Internet through a laptop and a dial up connection. Who'd have thunk it.) And if you're so stupid as to think a product would turn me off simply by SMELLING IT, you've been snorting too much talcum powder yourself. I ran the test on Krowtann just like I did the test with the McKenzie Tan and with EZ 100. I am smart enough to figure out what constitutes a real tan and when the process is half baked. I'm old enough to have seen this bicycle go by once before. And I know how to do comparison tests as I did bunches of them with Steve Steinbring when the Epo-Grip line came to taxidermy from the furniture industry.

Tom, as far as samples, perhaps you'd like Glen Conley to send YOU a sample of his innovative product that uses Stop Rot Acid. Don't know what happened to it as I haven't seen it marketed yet, but there are LOTS of products I field test. Some I like,some I don't and ALL of them are done at the request of the manufacturer who knows going in that if I DON'T LIKE IT, I WON'T ENDORSE IT EVEN IF IT DOES WORK. Krowtann was the exception as Brian DID NOT ASK ME TO TEST IT. I tested it on my own (the original formula) and Brian called me AND WE DISCUSSED MY HATRED OF ALUM AND HARSH ACIDS. End of story on my part. And to answer another question, NO I didn't like the smell, but I didn't like the results. The stretch was exaggerated to my liking (like DP) and the result looked no better than DP IN MY OPINION. The finished mount retained much of that "acid" odor unlike the lanolin I smell with JRTS so that's MY PREFERENCE and I don't figure I owe you or anyone else an apology for MY OPINION.

And just for information purposes, I don't return LOTS of phone calls. I have an answering machine and I don't figure I"m obligated to return any call that I don't want to. If your call goes through a switchboard or an 800 name that lists "out of area" or simply a state list on my caller ID, guess what you get to listen to?

And just so the beginners know, I want one of you to tell THEM which professional tannery uses Krowtann. If it's that good and that easy and eliminates so many problems, tell them where they can send their hides. Surely the tanneries are finding ways to save money during these times and I'm sure they're beating the doors down to fill their vats with that stuff. Now tell us, which one???

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Sonmebody call me when John C. gets back on the computer to reply, I gotta go mount a couple of deer. This is gonna be funny :D 979-968-5023

12. TD

I use the Stop rot George ,and I like it.......I don't need a sample............

13. paul e

paul e New Member

Tom
    the product George was refurring to is a experimental acid
    i believe that is what he is refurring to
    ive got some and it is awesome stuff
    I guess Glen is going to market it one day
    anywho it was good talking to you earlier today
    all the best
    paul e

p.s. i use JRTS ALSO
    my mounts dont smell musty a month later John

i hope i didnt speak out of turn Uncle George

14. TD

Darn I thought I had something I could use against him lol............

15. paul e

paul e New Member

sorry Tom

you know its sounds tough when hes posting
    but i bet hes laughing his a$$ off and having fun with you guys

16. George

No, Paul, of course you didn't "speak out of school". You own the "school" like the rest of us. And Tom, I DID say Stop Rot ACID. The piece of leather Glen sent was exceptional quality. I have no idea what the steps in achieving it are, but I know the leather was extremely pliable and had a very good lanolin smell to it.

17. TD

I knew that years ago lol...............My mis-understanding on the Acid...........

18. I have shaved on KT deer and they cut like butter. I don't particularly like the odor of Tide in the final product and I agree with George about the stretch.

But that isn't what OS was talking about is it? I see the concern OS has for the industry. I don't see it as a joking matter and sure do feel bad about anyone who gets taken by the "jacklegs" as OS puts it. I know that we get slammed when we (Lonestar, Carolina, Wildlife, Sivco...etc.) don't deliver as promised and we sure get the rake over if we screw up (God bless Oldterry's soul).

So, why don't you out the offender OS? It might save someone from a disaster or wasted money. I have done retans before and I pass the info along to any taxidermist that is looking for a new tanner. I have a short list of recommended tanners. If I can't handle it, I will recommend Carolina or Sivco for our area, but the other side of the coin is a long list of tanners I would stay away from.

PM for details.

19. michael p.

Yeah, spill the beans Aubry......Or are you chicken :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ROTFLMAO ;D

20. michael p.

You don't wanna know :) LOL