1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Professional tanning- Is there such a thing today?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, May 28, 2008.

1. Absolutely. We are a disposable income bracket. Making savvy business decisions during tough economic times will determine who stays and who goes the longer we continue to pay out the nose for rising energy costs. In a tight profit margin era, one bad decision can sink the small guy.

As far as building a reputation over time, it is this one man's opinion that the tanning industry can't afford to rest on its collective laurels. "What have you done for me lately?" rings out loud and clear.

2. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

OS .You have to change your handle............ "Youngshaver"..............I thought you was a heck of allot older lol...............

3. Betcha thought he was some old fart, gray and grizzled, hunched over some 1940's style shaving machine....wait, that would be you Tom....LOL

4. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Thanks for the laugh........I needed that LOL.................

5. Saw this one at the zoo. What is it OS?

6. How bout these critters?

7. How bout this one. The long curly locks are a dead giveaway.

8. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

OS, Can you give a couple examples of how different animals need to be tanned differently as you stated earlier.

9. Rush

Rush New Member

they don't

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Rush, I think OS was talking about you. If you don't think a domestic sheep needs a different treatment than an elk, then I KNOW he was talkng about you.

11. Rush

Rush New Member

George, when I want to hear from you I'll jerk your chain.I don't think oldsaver was talking about me, I believe I'm in good standings with him and him with me, I could be wrong though? The question was "examples of how different animals need to be "tanned different" they don't, it's he's step's before the tan that are different. Sheep need to be degreased, elk don't, African hides need to be degreased, whitetails don't, you put your best shaver on your delicate hides, not the shaver that can do a whitetail cape in 3-5 minutes, or a 5ft bear in 7-9 minutes. Alot of people on this site don't know any different but some of us can see through the THICK bull 5hit and know different. Oldshaver is very knowledgable in this trade and I have learned a few things from him in my short time on this site, mostly in public relations. George, your like the kid on the playground that gets picked on for eating his boogers, but you still keep eating your boogers. Just about every time I come on this site your into it with someone for "eating boogers" I have no respect for you, something that is earned, not given, but you wouldn't know about that, coming from the Air Force

12. George

Rush, the only chain you ever saw was the one on the commode reservoir. If you can't handle adult conversations, go back and hang out with your juvenile friends. If I ever sent you a sheep and you DEGREASED it without removing the lanolin, I'd be one hot duck. I guess as long as you're tanning out of your bathtub, that's about the extent of what you know. And what would you know about the service? You don't have a clue about me or what I've done and what I know. You've already made your mark here earlier and told us everything you know in about 10 posts. I could really care if you have any respect for me. As I have none for you, I guess all things considered, we're equal.

13. Rush

Rush New Member

yeah, yeah, yeah booger eater. What the hell do you think a "degreaser" doe's to lanolin? and about my service career. USMC, Beirut, Lebanon. Enough said. You give me a headache.

14. Roger E

Roger E Member

MT
    Rush, you and John C. probably are very wise, talented, knowledgeable, and extremely good with the women. That being said, I don't know either of you, but would love to meet you both in person, as you remind me of others who were disrespectful, tough as nails, and going to kick some real butt over the phone. Grow up...tough is extremely overrated, and not much of a lifetime goal, really...just my opinion...have a nice day.

15. Rush

Rush New Member

Roger E. Well just a little info about me. I'm single,ex-wife divorced me because I worked to much, and now I don't have the time for a woman,because I have to much work, My ass kicking day's ended when I went in the Marine Corps, seen to much to make me not want to do harm to fellow man, and there is always someone tougher. I'll go a mile out of my way to avoid a confrontation and would rather kick ass over the phone, I don't heel as good as I use to,due to age. I respect everyone's opinion, except George's.lol. I don't know everthing about tanning and I come on here to try to pick up some tip's and to be truthful I don't know why I even do that because the man I work for has more knowledge about tanning in his little finger than most people have in their whole body and has taught me more than I'll ever learn on this site, Anyway, when I see someone giving false info, and I know it's false, I have to speak up. If you go back and read my first post on this subject, all I said was "they don't" then booger eater had to chime in and start his $hit, maybe you should direct your post to bogger eater. Thank you for your opinion, I value it very much, and will try to work on it. Thank you for your time and "you" sir have a great day.

16. George

Rush, you should've stayed in school. Perhaps you'd have gained a better understanding of the English language and certainly could've come up with something a bit more original and certainly a lot more intelligent than "booger eater". I guess the Marines taught you how to wash your hands every time you pee. The Air Force taught me not to piss on my hands.

Now I don't care how much you worship your employer, (that's a good thing I suppose), but LARGE tanneries like the one OS works for do have different methods they use in the process for the type tans you get. I'm no tanning expert, but I know it ain't (like taxidermy) rocket science. If it were, you couldn't work there either.

17. Rush

Rush New Member

George; if booger eater don't fit you, then how about dumba$$, or will dip$hit work, or could we go with dumb ***k. It must be hard to piss on your hands when you have to sit down to do it. Must be nice,not to ever have to lift the seat? Talk about worshiping someone? seem's like the only time we hear from you is when OS speaks or when you have something stupid to say, mostly the latter. You have turned OS subject into a subject about you I am very worried about the future of the tanning industry, for I have three other mouths to feed.so please, keep you dribbling bull$hit to yourself and let's all try to come up with a solution for this problem, if there is a solution.

18. George

Nah, I'll pass. Especially now that I know it irritates me. That'll give me a new mission in life and once you find that there are no words that insult me, it'll likely upset you even more. I guess I'll have to close the bathroom door now. I didn't know you were watching. Ain't life grand?

19. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Rush ....You have in one brief post lost any chance of gaining my respect. I would bet that if all the other people who feel like I do abouit you lined up the line would stretch around the corner. It must be great to be so knowledgeable that tips on here are useless to you. Please introduce yourself so we all know what a great tanner & taxidermist you are. We will all probably know of you from seeing your name listed as a consistant major award winner. Your attitude marks you as a loser though, so maybe not?

20. Oldshaver, I'm interested in what you have to say about mule deer losing hair around the throat area. I have had this happen on more than one occasion sending the capes out to one of the well known tanneries. Is there anything we as taxidermists can do to prevent this from happening? In both instances the mule deer were fleshed and salted within a day of being killed. Thanks,Brian