1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Professional tanning- Is there such a thing today?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, May 28, 2008.

1. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Thanks OS, I wasnt looking for trade secrets ( you know how I tan ) just mildly intersested. the no rehydration bath for some species is interesting in itself. Thanks!

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

If there is a bigger dumb ass than Rush on this site you will be hard pressed to find him or her. Rush, get a life. You were just on here in November advertising that you will travel wherever to flesh, so apparantley the only legend you are is in your own mind. A good consistent shaver is always in demand so apparently you are not.

When somebody with the experience & proven quality such as Aubry produces is talkinfg why don't you do us all a favor & shut the f'up. I feel all of us would benifit also from the likes of George than a traveling shaver. They're kinda like a traveling snake oil man, all bull sh*t & no results.

Sorry Rush, you have really worn out your welcome.

3. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Rush...there are many words that come to mind...most of them would send me to Banned Camp. SO...I'll settle on: GEORGE ROOF KNOWS MORE ABOUT TAXIDERMY THAN YOU CAN EVEN DREAM ABOUT. You may not like how he says things...but he has a heart of gold and would give a total stranger the shirt off his back...and then invite them into his home for dinner. I feel sorry for you that you aren't able to recognize that.

4. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I wish I could shave a deer cape in 21/2 minutes..........Takes me a good 20 minutes and that's just the neck and face.............It takes me about an hour and a half to two hours to detail shave and run a machine on a good size WT cape.................I couldn't imagine staying on that machine all day long...............OS has to be one tough bugger.............I shave 5 deer and I'm hurtin lol..............George and I have differences in opinions in certain manners but I still respect him and I know he has a computer of Info in his head............I always try to write as though I was in the room with that person of coarse the writing can't replace the tones that we use in our voices when we are pullin a few chains which I'm really good at.............My wife doesn't believe a darn thing I tell her any more because of it(even when I'm serious) lol...............I guess we all get out of hand behind the keyboard at times....................Tom

5. Rush

Rush New Member

[email protected]: I don't care if you have any respect for me. I never said that the tip's on here were useless to me. I said" I come on here to gain tips, why I don't know because the man I work for has more knowledge about tanning in his little finger than most people have in their whole body". I try to learn something new every day, WHY? because I don't know "EVERYTHING" about tanning. OS has given some good tips, David Patton has also, and the list is long from other people who's advise I have fallowed. I'm sorry if I offended you by insulting your buddy "dumb***k" He has tunnel vision and so doe's alot of people on here. I'm not a taxidermist anymore and when I was I didn't claim to know everything, Hell I didn't even know this site existed up until not to long ago. I can see that if your not part of the "club" on this site, your opinion doesn't matter. By me starting my first post on this subject by saying "THEY"RE NOT" I have kicked a bee's nest, well I don't really care about your opinion, nor do I about dumb***k's opinion, Nor do I care If anyone else thinks I'm being a smart ass, I'm not trying to be, All I said was"THEY"RE NOT" I didn't start on Dumb***k, he started on me, didn't I say something about tunnel vision, sounds to me alot of people don't like how I say thing's, but I too have a heart of gold. Back in November I did post" travel to flesh" and was hired shortly afterword just for that. If you read that post carefully, I doesn't say I know everything about fleshing, just, I'll travel to flesh if someone is behind or need's help doing so, nothing more, Shelly P just give me a call and I'll explain it to you in detail. OS I couldn't agree with you more, could you remind me what the hell you said, cause I'm totally lost now.Oh and I almost forgot, I bleach my sheep and don't see a need to degrease them, for I feel the bleach does a great job at that, but I never thought about the conditioner, great "TIP" I'm gonna try it next time, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass either

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OS, did you see that? He's gonna use MY tip. GOSH!!! Remind me next time you see me to be flatttered. ROTFLMAO.

7. Rush

Rush New Member

OS: problem is, I don't get pissed, I take it all in stride. I can dish it out and I can take it also, but some of these opinion's, I mean, come the hell on. Sometimes our opinion's should be kept to ourself's, that's one thing I haven't really learned. I truly didn't mean no harm..........well?

8. LOL...Excellent A+

I picked the raccoon dog because of the Lithuanian taxidermist that won with the sculpted at the World Show in Austria.

The Cotswold sheep is highly valued in fiber circles for its beautiful locks. More impressive to me is the fact that you recognized the resemblance to the Angora. The Cotswold has the same corium structure with a layer of lipids between the leather and the epidermis that makes it tough to shave.

The Russian Sables are highly lustered and have more hair follicles per square inch of leather than nearly any other fur. That means the knife better be sharp and it better be smooth when you cut them.

Let's roll some characters out that need specific shaving and tanning treatment.

Does anyone agree with the Impalla being the equivalent to our Whitetail?

Many African species do not have to be degreased. The predators do, but the plains game are fairly dry leathers, meaning low lipid concentrations. I think an Oryx and an Elk have the same leather structure. Loose grain, distinct hair patterns that don't follow the conventional "head to the left" shaving patterns, and great stretch when thinned down properly.

9. paul e

paul e New Member

wow thanks David
    i was so sternly head to the left i could not get it out of my a$$
    noticed this on my last few elk
    i might not be crazy
    sometimes i tell my eyes they are lying

? where do guys rank axis(especially the thick part)
    new guys have been asking a few ? about them lately

10. Axis are easy to thin if the leather is plumped completely for shaving thin. Stay out of raw areas after thinning the upper layers until they are pickled through and they will cut just fine. Hides are easy to shave due to the blue coloration and the spots that can be seen well when thinned. The neck on a mature buck will have a loose texture like a bull elk. Just take your time and don't try to chunk out big cuts. Keep your pickle handy until it is completely thinned.

11. David's getting plenty experience with Axis between me and Michael P. LOL!

12. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

No chit!! LOL

David did a fine job on this last batch I got back!!

13. He always does!

14. paul e

paul e New Member

GOOD TO KNOW!
    hell probably get the next ones