1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#35

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, May 30, 2008.

1. dsmithgall

dsmithgall New Member

Rick, those fish are sick- awesome job! you should post more of your work more often- amazing work and great motivation for many of us.

Terry & Josh- just fishing the other day my buddy caught a redhorse and we were talking about how cool they were, and the colors they had. Thought about painting one because you don't see them very often.. Both of those turned out sweet- they are really a beautiful fish

Paul- I am about done with the paint booth set-up here, thanks for the tip- looks ljust like yours.

Brian, awesome fish- and for her first fish, way cool.

Great work everyone! another sweet week- have a safe weekend.

2. Trespasser

Trespasser New Member

Excellent work on that trout, Fishtales! Crappie season is good here in Southern Illinois!

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Brian, there's nothing better than mounting a childs first fish. You can just imagine them playing show and tell, relating the story of the catch many many years from now. In her case, probably trying to impress some young man who has caught her fancy.
    Taxidermy is so cool because of the history and the memory as well as the art work.

4. bdahyrt

bdahyrt New Member

Brian, WOW, If you stare at the vermiculations long enough on your crappie you can see the penguins logo! How did you do that?! ;D hahahaha,lol ;D Nice crappie brian, I am sure she was happy!

5. Josh and Trasfish remove the pectoral and pelvic fins and replace with 2/0 trebles add some weight and go Muskie fishin'.LOL Great inspiration to all,thanx for sharing.KD

6. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WOW! some truly outstanding fish work this week so far!
    Thank you so much for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoy the fish pic's of mine this week. I will say that each and every week I personally am inspired by all the great work at all levels your gifted and generous folks share with all of us! Heres to a great weekend and more super fish works of art!

My Best!
    Rick Krane

7. JRtaxidermist

JRtaxidermist Member

Here is my first brook trout skin mount I did for a competition this past Feb. It got me a yellow in the CW 360 Skin mount Professional catagory.

[​IMG]

8. Nice deal Brian,,,my little bass was for a 3 year old..his grandaddy wanted it mounted for him....they call him ant man....

9. bassnbuck

bassnbuck better late than never

this is my contribution for the week. some great work this week guys.

10. Rick , Josh , Trashfish , and UFD for that matter , You guys are unbelievably talented . I am in awe of your work everytime you post . Rick and Travis , I`m also waiting on the boxed set of those DVDs . I know they will be awesome . Tresspasser , nice crappie`s . Love the Dorado also. Great week of fish so far .

11. Trespasser

Trespasser New Member

Done a stringer mount a while back for crappie pro shop. Was happy to see it on the cover of Adventure!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Now, now Trespasser...you damn well....

That picture is of freshly caught LIVE fish!

Really nice...they even look REAL...GREAT job on those crappie.

:)

Kerby...

13. den007

den007 Active Member

Always love a chance to make a splash scene. Those "wonder water" pellets make it a snap!

14. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Trespasser, Great Crappie. Congratulations on the magazine cover. That's just way to COOL :D

Den, That Bass is fantastic.

15. Yeah, that's a nice bass/scene.
    Here's a crappie

16. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

SSAAWWEEEET Crappie and bass!!!

17. den007

den007 Active Member

Always an inspiration to do better as I see the fish on here. First sucker mount I've seen, but it is a beauty! Fish remind me a little of birds......all the color and iridescence. We get many birds at our feeder. Some, like the red-bellied woodbecker and orioles are always standouts. Kind of like trout. Yet, me wife got all excited the other day about this pretty bird with a yellow beak.....I had to come see it quick. So, I run upstairs from my bunker, and here is a pair of lovely starlings pecking away at the expensive suet! Yet, when viewed objectively......they too are beautiful. Why do we always consider the commonplace less attractive than the rare and gaudy? I am trying to see every fish with new eyes. (Of course I mean the eye of the soul......understanding.......lol)
    Speaking of eyes, Marc, the pupil in your nice crappie looks great.....bigger than I am used to seeing them in most eyes. Am I imagining things? Are you doing your own eye tweaking? They don't look like the two main brands I am familiar with.

18. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Marc, I have to add yours to the category of great crappie. That baby looks alive. Tell me your secrets other than years and years of working at it. ::) I already know the answer to that, just looking for shortcuts sometimes.

Josh, I love seeing your "trashfish" renderings also. They are superb!!!!!!!!!!

19. bassnbuck

bassnbuck better late than never

that is as awesome of a crappie as ive seen...the detail work there is great :eek:

20. Thanks for the compliments....I really didn't do that much to the fish other than carve the body and taxi it. I don't put much paint on...only where I have to...LOL! There is some irredescents on the upper back that the camera didn't pick up. The throat latch is generic as are on all my mounts. It is quick and looks presentable....same with the eye sets...all done at the same time.
    Dennis, I see what you're talking about. I'm not sure if it's the angle of the picture or what. I use 135's and get them unpainted...other than lining the burnt in pupil with gold/silver, they are painted (except for the smallies and walleys) all at once. I keep ALOT of eyes on hand and just grab what looks good. I sometimes get them bulk when shows come and there may be oddballs in there...not sure.