1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help With Tacking Out A Fox???

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by BamaHuntin, Dec 1, 2006.

1. BamaHuntin

BamaHuntin Member

I have a Fox that we skinned by not splitting it down the center.We rolled the skin off from the back to the front.My question is how do I set it up to tan it?I obviously can't tack it because I have to tan both sides.I've had people tell me to just cut it down the belly/chest but I'd really like to keep it whole.This is my first so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    James

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Sounds like its case skinned? Turn it inside out.. What tan are you using?

3. BamaHuntin

BamaHuntin Member

So it's called case skinned huh?Thats good to know for future questions.I bought a kit from Gander Mtn. called "The Basic Home Tanning Kit".The kit came with a fleshing tool,tanning krystals,tannig oil,and some kind of sand paper.Does this kit sound like it has all the things I need?Right now I have the skin in the freezer.I have'nt done anything to it besides skin it.
    When I turn it inside out how do I set it up to apply the paste?Do I turn it inside out,apply the paste,and then turn it rightside out to let it tan?Anybody mind giving me the details on how they tan a case skinned fox?
    Thanks,
    James

4. BamaHuntin

BamaHuntin Member

anybody???

5. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Read the directions that came with that tan kit.. Its housl explain how to use it.. Or call the company you bought it from and ask them for a set of directions.
    WIth my tan (its a liquid- Krowtann) I do everything inside out until its completely tanned...

6. BamaHuntin

BamaHuntin Member

My instructions explain how to tan one by spliting it open and tacking it out.I don't really know how to set the hide up when I get ready to put the paste on.My instructions say tack it out and put plastic over it so no air can get to it.With a tube skin would I just turn it inside out,apply the paste and turn it right side out?
    Thanks,
    JE

7. c bowen

c bowen New Member

First of all, have you done all the salting, and fleshing? Inside or out doesn't really matter. Also have you turned the lips, nose, ears, and eyes? If not, you have to do all those first.

8. BamaHuntin

BamaHuntin Member

I have'nt salted or fleshed it yet because when I thaw it out I want to do it all at once without refreezing it.I figure it won't hurt to figure out everything I need to know before I get started.When you say "turn the lips,nose,ears,and eyes" what exactly does turned mean?I'm new so Im not too familiar with a lot of the terms.
    I'll list a breif description of my instructions.

-Soak hide overnight in a 32qt trashcan with water and a cup of dish soap.
    -Pull hide out and drap it over something and let it set for about 5 minutes.
    -Fill trash can with fresh water and plunge hide up and down 10-15 times,then pull it out and hang it hair side out for 45-60 minutes.
    -Debone the tail.
    -Flesh the hide.
    -Tack out the hide.(which I'm not sure what to do in this step because I can't tack it out).
    -Salt the hide using fine iodized salt.Salt for 90 minutes.
    -Mix and spread tanning paste and let it set for 36-48 hours.Cover the hide with plastic so no air can get to it.
    -Scrape paste off.
    -Apply oil and let it set for 3-4 hours.Apply a second coat of oil on the thick areas.Let the hide dry for approximately 24-48 hours.
    -Stake and sand the hide.

My instructions say apply the tanning paste after it's tacked out but I can't tack mine out because it's tube skinned.I'm just wondering how everyone goes about applying the tanning paste to their tube skinned hides.Do I just apply the paste and lay it down or is their some way to keep one side from laying flat on the ground.
    Sorry guys,I'm not sure if I even make any sense.
    James