1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lion / Zebra both mounted

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by rcb, May 30, 2008.

1. Peggy Obear

Peggy Obear New Member

Looks like it came together well.
    Do you have poblems with the rods and that chainsaw?
    I see you used foam to stick it together.
    I also like it on the large animals versus bondo, I seem to be challenged when it comes to bondo, no matter how well I blow it off or how many holes I wack in it they tend to come apart when I am horseing it around.
    Looking forward to seeing finished out.
    Wheels are a good thing on the big ones.

2. Osage, What country did the Zebra come from ?

3. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

Sat what you want about whatever species the Zebra is, but the individual mounts are put together well. I am still not a fan of that much rib definition on the lion. The piece as a whole does not work for me. it is an entire art in itself when it comes to put more than one animal in a scene interacting. You didn't get it on this one for me. A piece like this should lead the mind's eye in knowing what just happened, and what is about to happen.. To me, this piece reminds of when my hot girlfriend makes me dance with her fat, ugly friend. I don't want to, but know that I better or else.. There is now "flow" to the piece. It is stiff and lifeless. Some may jump all over me for being the naysayer, but there are those taxidermist on here that know what I am saying and will agree!

4. Yes I do Artwild
    there was a lot of time put in to this project I think if it were me I would change the action of the Zebra
    but who knows maybe this is what the client wanted

5. A drop in the hind quarters and buckling of the rear legs is all I see missing to make the mount come alive. Still beautiful animal with ,what looks to be, a ton of work put into it.

6. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

That is great and inspiring thank you for sharing and documenting with photos through out the process.

7. catman

catman Active Member

Where were the critics before the skin was applied? Sure there are issues, but this is Randy's first attempt at such a formidable task. Once it is sewn you have usually traveled too far downstream to paddle back. I think you put your heart into the piece and should be commended for sharing it with us.

8. Catman, I don't think anyone is being too critical. People are providing input as rcb asked for. Why not share your thoughts on what's good and what can be improved upon?

9. Lenny

Lenny New Member

I don't know anything zebra's but the mount looks pretty damn good to me.

10. I am with you catman. He put allot of effort into the mounts and should be acknowledge for that. There is allot that could be done differently but when it is someones first time tackling a piece like this it can be overwhelming. My advice to rcb would be to simply study his reference on the individual bodies of both animals, and be so careful not to over muscle your mounts Try to observe there attitudes in that specific action. There is allot of good films and footage out there showing lions attacking prey, you can freeze frame the picture and learn allot from that and hopfully transfer that into your work. There are allot of good lion books out there l that have good reference of lions attacking as well. Try to keep in mind the action you are tyring to portray, and give it a good flow. And my own personal rule of thumb is when doing LS mounts that 70% of the work is prep, most of which goes to your forms, 20% to the skin application and 10 % to finish and habitat. What you do in the beginning is the most important and will ultimately be the major factor in determining the outcome of your mounts, lets face it. When doing work on that level, you will have more time altering and prepping your form than actually putting the skin on, that is the easy part. RCB, it is a great effort and I am sure you learned a thing or two that if you were to do the same mounts over I am sure you would change something to make it better, and to me regardless of your own skill level, learning something new to bring the quality of your work up is what it is all about.

11. sgwool

sgwool Member

1+ catman.........Nice job RCB. There are very few pieces, if any, that you look back on and say, that's perfect. I am sure RCB sees things he wishes he'd done.

12. catman

catman Active Member

He gave everyone a chance to give input throughout the alteration process. I wasn't trying to get on anybody, but if you wanted to see some changes in pose now is not the best time to give input. When something could have been done to improve the pose would have been a better time to share ideas. That's all I was getting at. I shared some of my opinions about the piece in a pm to Randy BEFORE the skin was stretched. He has a great attitude and I am sure will learn a lot from the whole experience.

13. I see what you're saying now and I apologize. Didn't realize there was a different post on his alterations.

14. mgrogers

mgrogers A bad day huntin is better than a good day at work

There are only three breeds of zebra in existence in the world. The Plains Zebra, the Mountain zebra and the Grevy's Zebra. There are a number of subspecies under the main species. If you check out this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra you can click on each species and subspecies. Both the mountain zebra and the Grevy's zebra have white under bellies. The Grevy's zebra has narrower stripes. Thought I'd share a little knowledge. Hope you enjoy.
    Genus: Equus
    Subgenus: Hippotigris
    Plains Zebra, Equus quagga
    Quagga, Equus quagga quagga (extinct)
    Burchell's Zebra, Equus quagga burchellii (includes Damara Zebra)
    Grant's Zebra, Equus quagga boehmi
    Selous' zebra, Equus quagga borensis
    Chapman's Zebra, Equus quagga chapmani
    Crawshay's Zebra, Equus quagga crawshayi
    Mountain Zebra, Equus zebra
    Cape Mountain Zebra, Equus zebra zebra
    Hartmann's Mountain Zebra, Equus zebra hartmannae
    Subgenus: Dolichohippus
    Grevy's Zebra, Equus grevyi

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

So I guess I can't say what I want to about the mount, because feeling would get hurt?

16. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Well now ...
    [​IMG]
    I guess somebody is gonna have to break it to this live lion, that you're not a fan of that much rib definition. :D

There is nothing wrong with defining the rib structure on a mount, sculpture, drawing or painting. I think I can say that with some authority ... I mean, I wrote the book. ;)

Also, notice the overall structure of the lion mount, as the lion in the photo ... they are both a little lean in their hindquarters. I applaud Randy for taking the time to make the mannikin fit the skin, and not the other way around! And for a first attempt ... BRAVO!

In the first place, he started out with a fine Zebra mannikin ... I mean sculpted by Joe Kish ... damn good choice! And all the work that went into its alterations? Well done, Randy. What I see are things that could have been aided by the use of good references. The base of the Zebra's ears, the lip line of the lion, and other smaller "details" that would have helped from reference use.

As for the pose and interaction of the two animals ... that will come as your skills increase. "My advice ... start drinking heavily" ... sorry, I got lost in "Animal House" there for a moment! Really, I would advise you, or anyone to watch any of the myriad of tapes or DVD's out there pertaining to African wildlife. National Geographic has many, many videos and DVD's, as does Animal Planet. Just go to their websites, and then to their online stores. There are always the obligatory scenes of lions chasing down and catching some poor slob prey animal or another. Watching these scenes will develop in you, a greater sense of the natural actions of both predator and prey animals, and how they interact with each other.

I don't know if you own the book I wrote: "The Breakthrough -- Art Of The Big Cat Manual" ... but if you don't and you want more insight into mounting the big cats, and any large lifesize animal really, this book will help you a lot!

So, Randy, keep on truckin' and best of luck to you!

John.